neurosurg
neurosurg,
206912

Hope you are all well I have just retired (67) and for the

Hello hope you are all well I have just retired (67) and for the past two or three days my hips, top of my legs and lower body has been in agony so much so walking is terrible for me at the moment, any ideas?
JA: The Doctor can help. To begin, what are your symptoms? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: Only Paracetamol very sore legs and hips and very fatigued
JA: Thanks for that. Have you seen a doctor about fatigue?
Customer: Not yet, only really just started today
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Doctor should know?
Customer: No I have been very fit throughout my working years, this is all very strange.

Hello -

Does this pain extend to the knees, into the shins or calves, and the feet?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Into the knee and seems to stop there no problems with my feet
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no happy to type at the moment

OK, thanks.

Do you have trouble walking up stairs because your legs feel weak?

Does this pain seem to get better with sitting? How about leaning forwards?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
great difficulty walking up and down stairs, have to have a soft seat leaning forward just makes me loose my balance

Sitting in a soft chair -- does that help the pain?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
as long as it isn't to long then I seem to stiffen up

OK, thanks.

Your symptoms really suggest an issue with lumbar stenosis:

https://www.aans.org/en/Patients/Neurosurgical-Conditions-and-Treatments/Lumbar-Spinal-Stenosis

and this could be from a disc herniation in the mid lumbar spine, as the L3 and L4 nerves would cause pain that radiates into the front of the thighs and cause difficulty like you are describing.

Given the severe pain I would discuss further with your GP to see if imaging of your lower back is needed. Certainly pain that persists despite treatments like physiotherapy, ibuprofen would warrant MRI imaging of the lumbar spine.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK thank you I will make an appointment for tomorrow

You're welcome.