DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I have a question to do with my heart rate. I am 18 and I

I have a question to do with my heart rate. I am 18 and I think of good health I’m not overweight I fact quite slim ( I’m 5,6 and 59kg) but havnt( I would say) done much exercise these past two years. I know my heart rate can get very high, for example when I was in hospital I think due to anxiety I was just sitting and it went to 154 but when I’m resting in bed at home it’s around 65 and when walking around 90-115. However today I decided to see what my heart rate would be when running and as I started to do a light jog it went up 183 even though I was not tired and felt no strain. Is this normal? What can my heart rate go up to when I exercise? Could it be because I don’t work out a lot? Why would a light jog that I barely feel make my heart rate so high? If I train harder and run faster surely my heart rate could easily get to a dangerous level !

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

This can be absolutely normal after exercise

There is nothing to worry at all

Please do let me know if you have any other question

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thank you. But this wasn’t after exercise I looked when I was jogging and it was 183 and when researching it said you your max heart rate is your age take away 220 so that’s 202 and then you should be working out been 65%-85% of 202 and 183 is higher than 85% of 202. And it suggests that if you are working out at 85% or more of you maximum heart rate you would be extremely tired. I was just doing a light jog surely if I then started doing intense work out it could go up to 190/200 ?

Well you are right but it is still not abnormal

You can have a formal exercise tolerance test to make sure there is nothing to worry about

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
do you think I can go and do an intense work out and even if it goes up to around 200 it’s ok ? C

Yes I don,t think there will be any problem

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thank you

You are welcome

If done please leave a 5-stars feedback rating