sofia khan
sofia khan,
Experience:  Consultant Family physician with special interest in dermatology at Rehman Medical Institute
101501929

I have superficial thrombophlebitis in my wrist following a

I have superficial thrombophlebitis in my wrist following a cannula insertion.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: None except topical application of ibuprofen gel. I’m 5 weeks down the road now and finding only marginal improvement
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I’m due to have a kidney removed from my right kidney and the ‘kink’ in the urether (apparently congenital) repaired.

Thank you for contacting Justanswer.

My name is***** khan. I am board certified family physician with specialist training in dermatology. I shall try and help you today with your query.

Let me have a quick read through and I’ll get back to you shortly.

how does the area look. can you send me some pictures?

is it only pain or are you feeling any burning and itching too?

how much is the pain now on a scale of 10?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I’ll try to forward a photo
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My concern is that the enlarged vein is lying over the wrist bone and there’s a risk of hitting it off something and rupturing it. Also Does this have to be completely resolved before surgery on my kidney?

Ok is the vein quite palpbale and tender? is the pain getting better or worse?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it very tender. The pain isn’t unbearable but can wake me at night. It’s more like a pressure pain. For example this morning the pain is in the underside of my wrist. I also have a lump on the inside of my elbow. I had a scan of my hand two weeks ago and it showed four small clots around the wrist bone area. My GP is recommending hemorrhoid ointment for the vein?

From what I can see, this appears to be on the mend.

It's good if your Gp has examined it in person.

the haemorrhoids ointment can be used for superficial thrombophlebitis as well. has he prescribed any one in particular?usually, it takes 4-6 weeks to resolve but the hardening of the vein can take longer to resolve.

It's hard for me to comment on your ultrasound finding, as the nature of the lump in your needs to be known to correlate all these things. As long as your GP has seen the ultrasound report that fine.

for the vein on your hand, just rest it for now.

you can do gentle warm compressions and use this other cream too.

I do not. think this is a contraindication for your surgery bit then its at the discretion of your gurgeon.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you. That was helpful

You are welcome.

I hope this answers your question.

If you are happy with the response, Can I ask you to take some time to rate the consultation? as we do not get paid for our work, otherwise.

This does not mean that your query gets closed after that. You can come back as many times as you like through the thread and ask me further questions regarding this problem.

Best wishes and good luck.

Dr Khan