Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I have severe lower back pain and bum pain when sitting

I have severe lower back pain and bum pain when sitting down. Is it slipped disc? I am really concerned? What would you advise?

Do you have a history of injury, fall, trauma, accident?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No. I don't. I recently had a surgery in the nose. Turbines removal, it went wrong and I was on the bed for 7 days and didn't move at all.

Thanks for the additional information.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Your symptoms are suggestive of disc disease.

Following investigations would be required, if not yet done for the confirmation of the diagnosis;

1) X-ray of the lower back

2) MRI of the spine

3) Nerve conduction velocity (NCV) study

4) Electromyography (EMG).

You may consult any of the following specialists (apart from your GP);

a) Orthopedist

b) Neurologist

c) Specialist in Physical medicine and rehabilitation.

Following measures would be helpful;

1) Backcare in the activities of daily living, which is an integral component of the treatment of back problems. Back education is one of the most important things which teaches the basic body mechanics, like correct posture for standing, standing at a desk or drawing board, sitting, brushing teeth, washing the face, pushing and pulling a weight, lifting a weight, getting in and out of bed, sleeping, getting into and sitting in a car. The training for these routine activities helps in preventing the spasm of the muscles. One needs to consult an occupational therapist or physical therapist which can educate about the proper and improper behaviors when the back is painful in case they have to sit, bend forward, lie down, walk, cough, or sneeze. Following more need to be done:

a) Avoid activities that increase pain.

b) Rest intermittently

c) Avoid bending at 90 degrees

d) Pushing and pulling should be avoided until the pain subsides

f) Avoid prolonged sitting and standing

g) Avoid sitting or sleeping on the floor

2) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like ibuprofen, other analgesics, and muscle relaxants

3) Local analgesic gels or sprays/ointment

4) Hot fomentation

5) Electrotherapy like transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation: done by the physical therapist. Other things are ice packs, heating pads, electrical stimulation, phonophoresis, iontophoresis, relaxation, and biofeedback.

6) Well supervised physiotherapy: The exercises consist of abdominal bracing, modified sit-ups, double-knee-to-chest or low back stretches, seat lifts, mountain and sag exercises, knee-to-elbow exercises, hamstring stretches, extension exercises, and extension flexibility exercises. Swimming exercises (pool exercises) are best for back pain. Initial stretching and later strengthening exercises are taught.

7) Lumbosacral corset or support or brace

8) If obese or overweight, reduce weight for long term benefits.

You may start these exercises;

1) Straight leg raising: Lie on the bed with your back and remain in a relaxed position. Slowly raise one of your legs upward and keep it as straight as possible. Count up to ten, and slowly bring down the leg. Do the same with the other leg. Repeat this exercise ten times.

2) Curl-ups; lie on the back with knees bent, fold arms across the chest, tilt the pelvis to flatten the back, and curl-up lifting the head and shoulders from the bed/couch. Hold for ten seconds, then slowly lower to starting position. As strength builds, aim to complete one set of ten curls. The exercise should be done twice a day (both the sets).

This is a slide show for the exercises (you can pick up your own set, which suits you);

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/multimedia/back-pain/sls-20076265

Was this information helpful to you?

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can I continue Walking 10,000 steps a day. Can I do weight lifting chest and biceps. Nhs has long weighting list for any Mri or xrays.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I also have thigh calf pain in my legs. Is that related? If I have herniated disc or slipped disc? Does it get better on its own?

Lifting weight and gym activities should be avoided.

If walking is painless, you may continue it.

Only painful activities should be avoided.

Thigh and calf pain is related to it and is indicative of disc disease. A slipped disc is more likely.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Does slipped disc get better on its own? Are there any treatments for it? How much should I walk

They can get better on their own.

I have written you the detailed treatment in the first answer for it.

You may walk if it is not painful.

If walking is not painful, you may continue walking ten thousand steps.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much.

You are very welcome.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Stay blessed.

Stay safe,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just last question. Why can't I sit down. Why does my bum hurt so bad.

It can be due to tail bone affection.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What is tailbone affection?

The disease of tailbone like the abnormal movement of the tail bone.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome.