How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tim Brown Your Own Question
Tim Brown
Tim Brown, GP
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 4079
Experience:  GP in Sussex
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Tim Brown is online now

I wonder if I can ask a question? So this has been ongoing

This answer was rated:

I wonder if I can ask a question?
JA: The Doctor can help. To begin, what are your symptoms? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: So this has been ongoing for 7+ years. Itching of the outer vulva area. Seems like a skin condition but zero visible symptoms. Doctors have suggested eczema and used steroid cream but does solve it. The itching has moved areas a few times but has got worse. I have read about it and wonder if it is Vulval intraepithelial neoplasia (VIN)?
JA: The Doctor will be able to answer that. Have you used anything besides the steroid for this?
Customer: Other eczema soothers but to no avail.
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Doctor should know?
Customer: I don't think so.

Good afternoon, I am Dr Ruff. Thank you for your question. Please may I ask your age please? and if you still have regular periods?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure, I am now 39. I've had this persistent itching for most of my 30s. I was having regular periods until I went onto depo contraceptive injection about 2 years ago.

Okay, thank you. Has anyone examined you with this? There is a condition called Lichen Sclerosus which can cause what you are describing. This would be diagnosed by examination/clinical history, it can be rather subtle.

It certainly doesn't sound like a vulval cancer, but examination would be key to check that this is benign.

If it was Lichen Sclerosus then this would be managed with topical steroids until it had settled. Something your GP should be happy to do, but if they had any hesitation they could ask for a gynaecologists opinion.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thank you. Yes I have had it examined a few times over the years. First time, despite no visible signs and no lesions, the doctor assumed lichen sclerosus and gave me a steroid cream which seemed to ease the itching temporarily, until stopped using the cream. Then I saw a dermatologist who took a look and confirmed nothing visible and said to stop the steroid cream and avoid soap - It's been so much worse! I guess I should get another examination scheduled?

thank you for that, okay well it is reassuring you have already been seen, even by a dermatologist. I would be considering gynae review and dermatology again. If nothing is visible but it continues, it may be worth having a small biopsy done to have a look what the cause could be, this would also show if there is higher number of cells indicating allergy or irritation

Persist with this, I am confident there is a way of settling this, even if the last resort was regular topical treatments. However reassuringly it doesn't sound like anything sinister. Best of luck with this, hope you get to see your GP soon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thank you. I will do that because it has been ongoing for many years now. That you for the reassurance. It certainly helps when it is difficult to get to see anyone right now. I appreciate your time and correspondence

That is my pleasure. Best of luck. Please could you kindly rate my response, many thanks

You can do this by clicking on the stars at the top of the thread, this allows JustAnswer to acknowledge my answer - many thanks

Tim Brown and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you