Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I am suffering from lung cancer and have been prescribed 5mg

Customer Question

I am suffering from lung cancer and have been prescribed 5mg twice a day of MST and a 300 ml bottle of oramorph to use during the night if the pain is bad. Last night I hadn‘t put the lid back on properly, picked the bottle up by the lid and dropped and smashed it. I phoned the pharmacy that dispenses all my meds but they can’t let me have any as it’s a controlled drug. I have phones 111 but am still waiting for a response from a doctor. Can you help please. Mart weeden
JA: The Doctor can help. To begin, when were you prescribed this medication? How severe were any side effects?
Customer: i have been prescribed this medication since November 2019 when I was first diagnosed and before chemotherapy and radiotherapy. I then caught Covid. I am gradually cutting down on MST and have gone from 40mg twice a day to 5 with oramorph if needed in the night. I only picked up the bottle on Monday so had used very little. I get the 300ml as when I try to open a child proof lock on a 100 ml bottle it spills out and I lose half . I have no side effects
JA: Thanks for that. Have you used anything else for this?
Customer: no
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Doctor should know?
Customer: No
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 12 days ago.

Good afternoon, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

We are an advice and guidance service only and cannot prescribe. What you have done is correct, however can I ask are you due treatment for your lung cancer?

The reason I ask, is if you are having palliative care for lung cancer, then when you phone 111, they should be contacting you back within an hour

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have already had chemotherapy and radiotherapy

Okay thanks, ***** ***** you make sure they were aware the morphine was for your lung cancer?

If you have, and it has been more than an hour since you called them, please call them again. You need to get this resolved before the pharmacies close