Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

MY GRANDSON HAS JUST BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH SEVERE TYPE ONE

MY GRANDSON HAS JUST BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH SEVERE TYPE ONE BIPOLA AND HAS HIS FIRST MEDICATION TODAY.
JA: The Doctor can help. To begin, when was your grandson prescribed this medication? How severe were any side effects?
Customer: DOCTOR IS GOING ON HOLIDAY IN A COUPLE OF DAYS AND WILL NOT SEE MY GRANDSON UNTIL SEPTEMBER. MY DAUGHTER (HIS MOTHER) IS LIVING WITH HIM AND TRYING TO LOOK AFTER HIM BUT HE IS SPENDING ALL THE MONEY AND THEY WILL BE BANKRUPT SOON IF HE DOES NOT GO INTO HOSPITAL OR THE LIKE UNTIL HE IS AT LEAST A LITTLE BETTER !!!! WHAT HELP IS THERE AND WHAT DO YOU ADVISE ?????
JA: The doctor will be able to answer that. Has he used anything else for this?
Customer: NO
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in his medical history the Doctor should know?
Customer: HE DRINKS A LOT AND SMOKES CANNABIS

Good afternoon, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

What medication has he been prescribed? And was it a psychiatrist who has diagnosed him?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
lithium
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
NO I DO NOT PREFER TO PHONE. AND YES A PSYCHIATRIST DID PRESCRIBE THE DRUG AND HAS BEEN SEEING HIM FOR APPROX 2 MONTHS + BUT ONLY TODAY DID HE PRESCIBE THE MEDICATION MY GRANDSON HASNT EVEN TAKEN HIS FIRST DOSE YET
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
THE DIGNOSED WAS BY THE PSYCHIATRIST

Thank you. So Lithium can take several weeks to become effective. Therefore there is a good chance there will be some improvement soon. September is therefore a reasonable time to allow the medication to work before reviewing how well it is working for him.

If there is any problem whilst taking the medication then you can contact your GP who can refer to the duty psychiatrist, this could be for an earlier review if urgent, or advice re medication.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
THAT MAYBE SO BUT HOW DO THEY GET THRU THE NEXT FEW WEEKS WHILE HE IS ON A SPENDING SPREE ???
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
UNFORTUNATELY HIS GP LAUGHED IN HIS FACE WHEN HE VISITED EARLIER IN THE YEAR & SAID THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH HIM ???

The issue regarding finance is the difficult one. Your only option is to limit their spending directly by either managing this for them, or with their agreement hold onto their credit cards etc. This can only be done with their consent however. Another sensible option is to contact all credit cards that they have access to and reduce the credit limits. Again you need the consent of your grandson to do this.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
THANK YOU THATS ALL I NEED TO KNOW FOR TODAY

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/

It would also be worth utilising some of the available charities for support with this, and I am sure they can given what you are describing is a common problem with Bipolar.

I am however sorry that your GP was not very supportive, but they will be able to access the mental health services if it was urgent for you.

I hope your grandson finds the lithium helpful very soon as I can appreciate this impacts many people in the family including yourself and your daughter.

Please could you kindly rate my response to your question by clicking on the stars, many thanks, ***** ***** of luck

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi Elliot RuffWell every minute the situation changes, my grandson who I was calling about who is type one Bipola received Lithium medication on Friday 26th June and yesterday telephoned me to say he has not yet taken any of the pills
and he is not going too. He was in a manic state and was threatening his mother (my daughter) who called the emergency services . part of the day he spent driving at 100 miles an hour to collect his daughter from another town.My daughter has just phoned to say he is now sleeping and will call me later. The emergency services obviously did not take him to hospital. Where he should be.How do I get him into Hospital ?????

Hello, please could you kindly click on the stars to rate the response so far - this thread can then continue with the doctor, thanks

Hello again, I am really sorry to hear.

You need to contact their GP who can request the mental health team urgently assess them

Alternatively if you have phone number for the local psychiatric clinic he was treated at, phone them and ask for the duty clinician (often this is a psychiatric nurse)

Your final resort is 111 and ask for the CRISIS team

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
thankyou very much