Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Is it true that a pale optic nerve can often not be spotted

Customer Question

Is it true that a pale optic nerve can often not be spotted on a standard optic disc scan if the optic nerve is unusually small or thin?
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 8 days ago.

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Gaurav Gupta, and I am here to help you today. I have more than 20 years of experience in the field of Medicine / Pediatrics. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.
If you see a premium phone call request I suggest you may ignore it - as the premium request of phone call was a system generated prompt and was not initiated by me. If you are interested in a phone call, then you may click on the request button (it costs extra!). I would be glad to continue here either way.
Kind regards, ***** ***** MD

Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 8 days ago.

What is the reason for your asking this question, can I have some details,
Warm regards

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The reason is that an MRI scan seems to have shown a pale optic nerve yet optic discs seem to have missed it! I therefore need to know if this is normal. But I would like to check out your credentials as I requested answer from Uk specialist? Do you have UK ophthalmology credentials and on GMC list?
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 8 days ago.

Thanks for the information. I am not a UK doctor. Will opt out and let the other doctors interact

Dr Gupta

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok thanks for that!
Expert:  Dr. David replied 8 days ago.

This is Dr. David

why do you say an MRI scan would have shown a pale optic nerve?

I look at brain MRI scans all the time

are you trying to inturpret a brain MRI scan image on your own?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Not trying to interpret it myself! But have been told this by US doc! However needed opinion from UK doc!
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Are you an ophthalmologist or neuro-ophthalmologist as I need answer from this specialty field?!
Expert:  Dr. David replied 8 days ago.

what US doctor said you had a pail optic nerve on MRI scan.

that is not a term we use for the optic nerve on MRI scans.

I am a cancer doctor, radiation oncologist.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 8 days ago.

opthalmologist don't read MRI scans of the brain too often.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
If you're a cancer doctor this is not useful for this q as I requested an eye doctor!
Expert:  Dr. David replied 8 days ago.

I think you are getting a run around from a doctor in the USA about this MRI scan and pale optic nerve.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks for your feedback! However this does not answer the q about the optic disc scan! I believe this is a v. specialist area and would be glad to be redirected to neuro-ophthalmologist!
Expert:  Dr. David replied 8 days ago.

I don't think we have a neuro opthalmoloist here online

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Well I did click dropdown menu for eye doctor! And someone called Dan B did appear at one time with neuro-ophthalmology credentials!
Expert:  Dr. David replied 8 days ago.

then you have to wait for Dan B

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
ok!
Expert:  Dr. David replied 8 days ago.

ok