Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

I've had a bumpy rash over almost my entire body a few weeks

Hi, I've had a bumpy rash over almost my entire body a few weeks ago and got treatment from my doctor (antibiotics, Doxycycline). She wasn't entirely sure what it was but said it's keratoris pilearis and folliculitis. It was the SO itchy, I couldn't sleep and was on the edge for days, which makes me wonder about her diagnosis as KP usually isn't itchy from what I could gather. They never done any testing on my blood Oder my skin, she had a brief look at the skin and that's it. The rash is now coming back.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?
Customer: It first started about 5 weeks ago and took about probably two and a half weeks to settle it down. It was okay for the last two weeks (the occasion appearance of a few tiny bumps but nothing compared to the initial flare up). Nothing really helped with the itching. I was prescribed a 10% urea cream and strong antihistamines as well as a steroid cream but they all didn't have much of an effect.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: My mom is diagnosed with celiac disease and my uncle with diabetes type 2 (needs to inject insulin). I had an operation when I was one, a so called kidney reflux, my kidneys still work 100% but split the work 30/70.
Can you upload a photo of the rash?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hey, that's it done!
Looks like folliculitis Its hard to treat. Best option is to treat it like acne with a. Salicylic acid body wash and a benzoyl peroxide spot on at night. Please reply with questions and consider a positive rating. We are not compensated without a rating. thank you for using JA.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
But I've literally had this all over my body, even on parts where I hardly have hair, like my neck and chest. How do you get folliculitis? Is it common for it to spread all over the body? It was literally spreading, getting worse every day, covering more of my body day by day.
I think what you really need is a biopsy to definitively diagnose what you have. And no, it really shouldn’t spread like crazy like this.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Would folliculitis show in a skin biopsy?
Any actual diagnosis will show up with biopsy
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok thank you! I assume I will need to push my GP to refer me to dermatology to do such biopsy?
Its going to take some time I’m sorry.