Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

This question is regarding my mother. She is in her sixties

Hello. This question is regarding my mother. She is in her sixties and developed a few lumps on her breast. She bled from one of her lumps and her nipple is drawing itself back inside. She refuses to see a doctor and I am trying to find out whether it is cancer and how bad is it. I have taken pictures of the lumps.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I look forward to answering your question. These are all symptoms of cancer and the photo you sent looks quite bad. That being said, cancer is not diagnosed by a picture, The only way to diagnose breast cancer is to biopsy or remove it. You will need to get her to a Dr asap. Generally when breast cancer presents like this, it is already very late in the process. Please reply with questions and consider a positive rating. We are not compensated without a rating. thank you for using JA
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you. She refuses to see a doctor, we tried everything. Could you by any chance estimate what is to come in this process? What should we expect?
There’s no way to know if the cancer has spread. Cancers that grow like this ulcerate through the skin and cause huge sores that do not heal and become infected. For a 60 year old, its a very bad quality of life that could be greatly improved with surgery. Please reply with questions and consider a positive rating. We are not compensated without a rating. thank you for using JA.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you. One last question, she bled for a week from the sore lump, but now the bleeding has stopped. Say, she still refuses to see a doctor and refuses to get surgery, could you foresee or approximate what myself and my siblings are to expect? I apologise if the question is not appropriate, we are just trying to prepare ourselves.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I mean, is she going to need full time supervision?
I’m not sure what you mean by that. Without treatment, she will eventually pass away. There is no way to predict what type of care she needs at the end.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you for your help
Sure. I would start looking into hospice care in your area so you are prepared if she needs it and have a plan.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you. All the best.
You too. Thanks for accepting and using JA