Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I have an abscess on my tailbone and dont know if i should

Hi i have an abscess on my tailbone and dont know if i should go to the hospital to have it drained as ive been on antibiotics for it last month and once before this he same abscess
JA: The Doctor can help. To begin, have you used the antibiotics or anything similar before?
Customer: I have used antibiotics twice for it.
JA: Thanks for that. Have you seen a doctor about the abscess?
Customer: Yes have been to A&E
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Doctor should know?
Customer: no

The abscess will need drainage. It can cause a complication like the formation of fistula in the anus. Antibiotics alone may not work efficiently and may not be able to eradicate it completely.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Should i go to A&E as soon as possible? Im also getting pains in my lower left stomach im not too sure if that has anything to do with the abscess as last month i was getting temperatures from it not sure if its all connected?

The temperature you got last time was likely due to abscess. The lower abdominal pain may not be related to abscess though. Going to the ER as soon as possible would be recommended. Motrin and Ice compresses will help you.

Was this information helpful to you?

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.

You are very welcome.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen. Thank you!”.

Stay blessed.

You may seek a prescription of fluconazole 150 mg every other day for 3 doses, followed by weekly fluconazole 150-200 mg for 6 months. This regimen abates the symptoms and prevents further recurrence in the majority of women.

Boric acid wash for the vagina can be used in resistant cases, as an alternative measure with the consultation of your physician. A specific culture; Nickerson or Sabouraud mediums should be performed in refractory or recurrent cases of vaginal candidiasis to confirm the infection. So you can talk to your doctor to get this culture before you start the treatment.

Women who do not improve with the above can use clotrimazole 500 mg vaginal suppositories administered once per week for six months which is also effective.

Also, avoid (if you do) following;

1) panty liners,

2) pantyhose,

3) sexual lubricants

The following would help you:

4) You can help restore the normal bowel flora by eating live bacterial culture yogurt every day for a few weeks and take acidophilus tablets three times a day for one month.

5) Do not use tampons until the end of the treatment.

6) Wear loose, all-cotton underwear as they absorb body moisture.

7) Wipe front to back when you urinate or have a bowel movement. Bowel bacteria can infect the vagina.

8) Do not shave the vulvar area as the pubic hair protects against chemicals making contact with the skin.

9) Avoid all chemicals in the Vulvovaginal area.

10) Avoid pantyhose and tight pants such as jeans which trap moisture near in the perineum

11) After exercise or any sweat-producing activity, bathing or swimming, make sure the perineum is air-dried., Moist surfaces that rub against each other break down and provide an area for yeast secondary growth,

12) Follow a low carbohydrate diet. Take steroids, antibiotics, and oral contraceptives only if very necessary.

Was this information helpful to you?

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Thank you so much for this information as no one has been giving me any information and I’m just going through this pain every month!! I really appreciate everything

You are very welcome.

A positive rating would be appreciated.