M Javid, MD
M Javid, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  American Board of Internal Medicine Certification in Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases
28778822

I took a morning after pill, but still took a pregnancy test

Hi, I took a morning after pill, but still took a pregnancy test which tested negative after 2 days of delay of my period. Now it's been 6 days and my menstrual flow hasnt started. Is it possible i could be pregnant?
JA: The Obstetrician-Gynaecologist can help. To begin, apologies for the personal questions, but are you using any contraceptives? When did your last period begin?
Customer: no please, just the morning after pill. My last period began on the 27th of May
JA: Thanks for that. OK, more personal questions coming up I'm afraid - when was your last smear test, and what were the results? Any swelling, discolouration, or unusual smells?
Customer: I haven't had a smear test before
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Obstetrician-Gynaecologist should know?
Customer: No please

Hi, the morning after pill is over 95% effective if used in 24 hours. If you used a very sensitive urine test (like First Response or Clear Blue), it should be able to detect as early as the first missed day, but some kits can take as long as a week to detect. To double check, you should repeat after 3 days, using the first morning urine, and don't drink any extra water at night.

The morning after pill has about three times the dose of progestin in it, and it can throw your normal period off by a week either way.

So the chances are you don't have a pregnancy, but a delay due to plan B use.

Also having 2 cycles a year that are delayed or come earlier, is entirely normal. Sometimes periods can be delayed and upto 35 days after the last period is also considered normal.

I hope that answers you?

Please click the 5 stars on your screen below my picture to give a positive rating to my answer, otherwise I don't get credit for it, thanks.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hello Sir, upon your advise, I double checked 2 extra times and all were negativve results. However, its almost 2 weeks since the expected day for my period and its still not come. What could be the issue?

If the period does not occur, you can wait at least another cycle, and the chances are it will come back on it's own. If it does not return in two or three cycles, then you will need an ultrasound and blood tests to check your hormones.