Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

My daughter was on a high dose of Oxycodone and has been for

My daughter was on a high dose of Oxycodone and has been for quite a few years. The GP
Surgery put her on a reduction which she attempted to do until she got to a safe level and told them that she was at the point where she could no longer cope with the pain (she has fibromyalgia and stage 4 endometriosis). We asked for a referral to a pain management consultant who agreed that as she had tried so many alternatives that hadn’t helped and is unable to take IBUPROFEN or Paracetamol that the dose of Oxycodone was at safe levels and actually gave her some quality of life. The GP does not agree and has continued with reducing to the extent that she is struggling to get out of bed and look after her severely autistic son. I am really worried for her mental health and have spoken to more than one doctor at the surgery but they do not want to know. I see this as negligence and she plans to move surgeries. Have we a case to complain to NHS England.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I look forward to answering your question. I’m sorry but no you really don’t. Oxycodone is not effective for either fibromyalgia or endometriosis and her GP is correct. I’m sure he will wean her off it. I’m wondering why the pain management specialist did not prescribe it. As that is usually what happens. Please reply with questions and consider a positive rating. We are not compensated without a rating. thank you for using JA.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The consultant at pain management said he cannot prescribe opiates as his contract with the BMI clinic forbids it. I know the gp thinks he is right to wean her off but nothing has been offered to help her. She has had no support whatsoever and is in chronic pain which she say she cannot continue to live with. My concerns that she has reached her cut off limit and may do something silly was dismissed out of hand. I feel very let down. How is she expected to live in pain and look after a disabled child. She can’t see any future and I don’t know where to turn.
I’m not sure why a pain management dr could not prescribe opiates. Thats why you go there. I think the gp is correct in weaning her off. Its not an appropriate medication for her condition. Did she speak to the pain management dr about alternative options? It sounds also like she needs emergent mental health help. Here is some information on that.
Emergency mental health assistanceIf you just need to talk, any time of day or night
Free listening services
These services offer confidential advice from trained volunteers. You can talk about anything that's troubling you, no matter how difficult:
* Call 116 123 to talk to Samaritans, or email:***@******.*** for a reply within 24 hours
* Text "SHOUT" to 85258 to contact the Shout Crisis Text Line, or text "YM" if you're under 19
If you're under 19, you can also call 0800 1111 to talk to Childline. The number will not appear on your phone bill.
Information:
Coping during a crisis
The mental health charity Mind has information on ways to help yourself cope during a crisis.
This includes calming exercises and a tool to get you through the next few hours.
NHS urgent mental health helplines
NHS urgent mental health helplines are for people of all ages.
You can call for:
* 24-hour advice and support - for you, your child, your parent or someone you care for
* help to speak to a mental health professional
* an assessment to help decide on the best course of careThe 111 service can most quickly direct you to help in your area. She will feel much better as she continues to get the oxycodone out of her system and as the symptoms of withdrawal go away. Please reply with questions and consider a positive rating. We are not compensated without a rating. thank you for using JA.