Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have bee diagnosed with?menieres disease but I only feel

I have bee diagnosed with?menieres disease but I only feel dizzy when I have been lying down. Could it be due to anything else?
JA: The Neurologist can help. To begin, do you have frequent headaches? Any issues with coordination or balance?
Customer: rare headaches. Balance is poor
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: headache rare. Nausea only when I get an attack
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Neurologist should know?
Customer: no

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience. ​

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age and sex?

WHat are your symptoms? Do you have decreased hearing in one ear with feeling of heaviness in the ear?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

You may get a message asking for a phone call which is generated automatically by the website, if you accept this I can help you over phone also.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I am 84 and female
10days ago as I was waking up I suddenly felt dizzy and couldn’t get upright I felt better after about6hours and virtually back to normal. about 5hours later I moved my head suddenly was dizzy and fell. I couldn’t get up and the room was spinning, I was sick. I was given proclorpezamine 5mgs which did improve matters somewhat
I gradually improved over the next few days and am fine in the afternoons.
My hearing is poor in both ears but I get aching in and behind my right ear
I have mild high blood pressure and take candesartan
This sudden acute vertigo has happened twice before over the last 23years
Thankyou

Do you get the vertigo when your head?

Or it there most of the time anyway?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Just a little unsteady on my feet but the vertigo is only noticeable during an attack

Hello, I will call you now, please hold on

Hello, it was great talking to you.

I am an ENT specialist and experienced in dizziness and vertigo.

I will just summarize our conversation for you.

There are many different causes of vertigo.

Basically, the causes are divided into two, Peripheral and Central.

Peripheral causes are causes in the ear, like BPPV, labyrinthitis, vestibular weakness and, Meniere's disease.

Central causes are causes due to other conditions like cerebellar conditions, strokes, etc.
In your case, your symptoms are more characteristic of BPPV rather than Meniere's disease. Meniere's d is characterized by dizziness at all times not much affected by positional movement with fullness of the ear or decreased hearing or pain in ear, etc.

BPPV is characterized by dizziness on movement of head, acute episodes lasting for few minutes which occur on movement of head, getting up from the bed, etc.

Both the diseases are benign. Both can be recurrent.

Prochlorperazine is the mainstay in both, in Meniere's additionally some drugs are used, in BPPV exercises are the most important. Exercises are very important in Meniere's too.

In BPPV one maneouver can be done called Epley's maneover

For now, you should continue the Procholrperazine. Ask your doctor about BPPV and whether it is more likely for you. Also ask about Epley's maneover.

Also do the exercises from the youtube video below, this is very important:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-3Zd95PzDk

If the dizziness recures, your best approach is that you see an ENT specialist or a specialized Vertigo Clinic. You need a thorough assessment for your vertigo and specialized tests for this, and these are not done by all doctors. Your PCP/Family physician will have to refer you for this.

Things to discuss with your PCP/Family Physician:

Whether it is true vertigo or not (sometimes psychological factors can also present as vertigo)
Whether your clinical tests for vertigo are positive (you should ask about nystagmus, Rhomberg's tes, Unterburger's test)
Whether it is likely to be Central or Peripheral Vertigo
Investigations to be done for Vertigo - you should discuss about ENG/VNG or Videonystagmogram (this is the most important test for vertigo to find the cause of vertigo), Rotating chair Posturography, audiometry tests.
Whether you need referral to a specialized Vertigo clinic for these tests
Medicines to be used for the vertigo
Vertigo rehabilitation exercises

Note down these points or take a printout and discuss with your doctor. This can help you to get a referral to a specialized Vertigo clinic where the cause of your vertigo can be found.