Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I have an open sore on my knicker line and is proving

I have an open sore on my knicker line and is proving difficult to heal, what should I do?
JA: The Doctor can help. To begin, what are your symptoms? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: Only Sudocrem
JA: Thanks for that. Have you seen a doctor about this?
Customer: No
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Doctor should know?
Customer: i have high blood pressure.

Good morning, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

Are you able to provide a photo of this sore please?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I’d rather not

Can you describe it for me then please? And how long has it been present?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It started as a spot right on the knicker line, then burst and has not healed it has been like this for about a week

Thanks - and is it sore, itchy or/and painful?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Occasionally itchy, but mostly irritated by wearing knickers!!

Okay thank you. So given the time frame you have had it, more itchy through irritation, this could have been a mild folliculitis. If it isn't spreading and more irritated than painful, I would use topical hydrocortisone which you can get from a pharmacist.

You have use this twice daily for 1-2 weeks and this allows it to reduce the inflammation which is what is causing the irritation.

I would also continue to use sudocrem to protect it, but put it on as often as your like, as long as you have allowed the hydrocortisone to absorb for a 30minutes before.

If despite the above, you notice it spreading/worsening or not improving, then I suggest you contact your GP as if may require topical fucidic acid or oral antibiotics, both of which are only on prescription.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks so much

That is my pleasure, but if worsening, do ask your GP to have a look please, as my answer is rather theoretical

Please could you kindly click on the stars to rate my response to your question, thank you