Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I am losing a lot of hair on my scalp. Could it be the mini

I am losing a lot of hair on my scalp. Could it be the mini pill? I was diagnosed with PCOS 5 years ago and my GP made me stop taking the combined pill in Feb and replaced it with the mini pill and antibiotics (for acne).
JA: The Obstetrician-Gynaecologist can help. To begin, how long have you dealt with PCOS? Have you experienced this in the past?
Customer: 5 years. I have not experienced any hair loss before. It’s become a problem over the past 1-2 months
JA: Thanks for that. OK, more personal questions coming up I'm afraid - when was your last smear test or pelvic exam? Any irregular results from past exams?
Customer: a year ago for smear test. No irregular results
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Obstetrician-Gynaecologist should know?
Customer: i had an internal ultrasound confirming polycystic ovaries 5 years ago and saw an endocrinologist who confirmed i had pcos

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience. ​

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

Have you had testosterone levels checked recently?

Is there family history of hair loss?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

You may get a message asking for a phone call which is generated automatically by the website, if you accept this I can help you over phone also.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hello, I have not had my testosterone levels checked recently however I was on an anitandrogen pill when taking the combined pill previously, so they have been high in the past. Is this done by blood test? The males in my family have hair loss however none of the women
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I have attached an image so you can see the hair loss so far

Ok, I have reviewed your pic. Please hold on while I type out your answer. This can take a few minutes.

Causes of hair loss are:
Age related baldness: female pattern hair loss (thinning of hair throughout the scalp) occurs in upto 10% of females. It can occur at a young age in some persons, specially those with a familial predisposition.
Stress: any cause of stress , like a major surgery, personal problems, etc. can cause hair loss which occurs about a month to three months after the event.

PCOD: this can cause hair loss due to high testosterone levels

Disease: the three most common diseases that cause this are diabetes, thyroid disorders and Lupus.
Nutrition; poor diets not rich enough in protein or iron.
Medications: drugs used for gout, depression, blood thinners, anti-hypertensives, birth control pills, chemotherapy.
High fever or other illness: hair may thin out after about three months of a severe illness due to stress.

Hormonal changes: this can occur after pregnancy or with the use of birth control pills. Can also be related to menopause.

You need to do investigations like blood sugar and thyroid levels. Testosterone levels need to be checked, this is very important for you since you are known to have PCOD. If high testosterone is found you need to get back on anti androgen pills. If other causes are eliminated, then it is likely that you are having female pattern baldness.

The treatments that you can do is:
Iron supplements: you should take an iron supplement available OTC at pharmacies.
High proten diet
Minoxidil (Rogaine) : apply twice daily to the scalp. This is available OTC. Minoxidil is not be used if you are trying for pregnancy, since it can be toxic to the fetus, otherwise it is very safe. It comes in two strengths for females, 2% and 5%. It can cause some dryness and itching of the scalp initially. Hence you should start with the 2% initially and once you are used to it, use the 5%. Use it regularly for 9 months to 1 year. Results should be visible by 3 months. It is available OTC.

If this does not help, you should consult a dermatologist or a hair specialist. Other procedures like hair powder, Scalp micropigmentation and hair transplant can help you.

Take care - wish you good health and a quick recovery. Stay safe.

I hope my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and helped you in knowing what to discuss with your doctor if required.

If my answer has helped you, please click on a four or five star rating from the rating bar of stars at the top or bottom of your chatbox. It is only when you give a high rating that I get credit for my work. Bonus and a good feedback is always welcome.

Please note that rating me now does not close your question. We can continue until you are satisfied. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know, I am sure I can help you further.
With regards,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you for your answer. I no longer want to take contraceptives - are there antiandrogen tablets you can take while trying to fall pregnant/off contraceptives? Also, can I do those treatments recommended no matter what the cause, or only if it is female pattern baldness?

These treatments can be taken no matter what the cause, they will help in all the causes.

Anti androgen tablets wont affect your fertility

Did my answer help you? Do you have any other queries?
Please remember to rate my service with 5 stars from the rating bar of stars at the top or bottom of your chatbox if you have been helped by my answer..

Without a positive rating, this session remains inconclusive.

Of course, you can continue asking as many questions as you like after the rating also.

Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Are there any side effects to taking antiangrogen pills?

No, not as such, when the testosterone is high.

We have had multiple interactions.
You now need to give a rating if the answer has helped you - you can continue asking questions after the rating also, but it encourages me to continue responding if you give a positive rating..
We are paid only when a positive rating is given.