Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I woke up today with a sore throat and I've noticed just now

Hi, I woke up today with a sore throat and I've noticed just now that I have white marks on my tonsils. Those seem to be my only symptoms but I'm just worried as to what it might be
JA: The Doctor can help. To begin, how long have you had the marks? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: I only noticed them today, about an hour or so ago
JA: Thanks for that. Have you seen a dermatologist about the marks?
Customer: No
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Doctor should know?
Customer: Nothing in my medical history, no

Hello. What is your age? are you having any fevers, chills, runny nose or cough?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm 30, and no, I don't currently have any of those symptoms

Do you suffer from allergies now and then?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't have any allergies

Do the tonsils appear enlarged or red?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've just checked with a torch and a mirror and they do seem redder than the rest of my mouth and look larger than normal, I don't really pay attention to how large they normally are though but yes, I think they're enlarged

The two most common causes of enlarged painful tonsils are viral and bacterial infections. If you are otherwise healthy, your body should be able to clear any infection within a few days to a couple weeks. If the tonsils become large enough to reach the midline of your throat or you begin to see liquid pus or plaques on the tonsils, this might indicate an infection that is not clearing. Similarly, fever over 101.5 would be concerning and might require a culture and antibiotic treatment. In the meantime, gargling with warm salt water ever 2-3 hours can help to lift off any dead cells, debri or tonsil stones stuck in the tonsilar crypts. This reduces inflammation and generally feels better. Ibuprofen or naprosyn may help with the inflammation as well.