Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I have severe degenerative arthritis of my right hip,my last

Customer Question

I have severe degenerative arthritis of my right hip,my last xray was January of this year as my condition had worsened and my gp said my hip was bone on bone and referred me to an orthopedic surgeon obviously the situation re covid has halted the process however my condition has considerably worsened and is impacting considerably on my quality of life causing new severe pain and a lack in mobility . I am considering paying for a private consultation in order to find out what if any treatment will help me. If l pay for a private consultation and require a hip replacement or other treatment can they then refer me to an NHS list or do l still have to wait to see the NHS consultant ??
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: I have had the condition for over a year but the degeneration and mobility issues worsened at the beginning of this year which is why l had another xray,l saw a physio who gave me some exersices to do and l have looked up other exercises online to try and improve both my pain and mobility however over the last few months l am finding the exercises very painfull l can hardly walk some days stairs are a nightmare and l have difficulty getting into the shower which is over my bath. Sleep is difficult l have spoken to my gp several times in regard to my condition as it is affecting my mental health as well. All they have done is increased the cocodomal and ibuprofen l can't take naproxen as it affects my stomach and k don't want to take morphine when l can't see an end so l have tramadol for the particularly bad days however there are times that doesn't work
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I was on antidepressants for 11 years but came of them at the beginning of last year l don't want to start taking them again but l am at my wits end. I am respite care for my grandson who is non verbal autistic and at 9 he can be a hand full this condition in affecting every area of my life l am going back to work in 2 weeks after being furloughed for the last 3 months and l don't know how l will cope
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 18 days ago.

Good evening, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us this evening, but I am sorry to hear of the difficulty you are having.

If you see a private surgeon who also works on the NHS, then they would be able to list you on their NHS list rather than then waiting for an NHS appointment first.

However through choose and book, your GP can refer you to a private hospital on the NHS. This would be of no charge to you at all. The difference is that the private hospital will only offer so many of these per month and therefore you will still wait a little longer compared to paying privately.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
What is your advice

I would ask your GP for the latter at first and see how long the waiting time is, you can then decide if you want to pay for a private appointment first. A general rule is that a private appointment will cost about £250.

Please note, the private sector in some areas have not yet restarted elective surgery, therefore there will be some back log due to this.

does this help? feel free to ask anything else

If there is anything else then please let me know. Otherwise I hope this is some help to you, have a good evening.