Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
23101880

I have an IUD I’ve had it for a year now and upto now I have

Hi I have an IUD I’ve had it for a year now and upto now I have still had regular periods, I have just recently started having sex with someone and my period hasn’t come is it possible that I could be pregnant?
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: I’m not in pain I thought I was going to come on as I had the cramps and sore breasts but it didn’t come. They are usually like clockwork
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No

Hi! I am Dr Saleem. Welcome to JA. I will be answering your query shortly.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok thank you

Can you please tell me which iud are you having?

Do you have nausea? Fatigue? Increased frequency of urination?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I can’t remember the name of it it’s like medina coil or something. And I have been tired and urinating more I thought maybe I had a UTI at first

So you never missed a period before on mirena iud?

This iud is usually very very effective at preventing pregnancy but we commonly see women missing periods with it.

Can you feel the strings of iud?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No this is the first time I have missed a period and I have only just started being sexually active again which is why I am concerned it’s seems a strange coincidence
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No I can’t

Yeah it is. What's the expected date of your periods?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
It was 25/07

If the iud is still inside and not displaced then it's very very unlikely that you could be pregnant. But since you can't feel the threads, it would be prudent to take a home pregnancy test 7 days after a missed period. If it's negative then it's highly unlikely that you're pregnant. But I suggest do get seen by a doctor or midwife later to check if iud is in place. Ypu may use condoms till it's not confirmed.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Should I be able to feel the string?

Yes. It's two fine threads that you should be able to feel inside the vagina. The doctor who inserts that usually explains how to feel for it. You may ask your doctor about it the next time when you get a checkup.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Okay thanks

Most welcome.

Please remember to reward credit for the consult if you are satisfied. You may do it by clicking 5 stars in the rating corner of your page. Best regards, ***** *****