Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  board certified internal medicine
19706630

Second opinion] I have a ongoing issue with my ears nose and

second opinion] I have a ongoing issue with my ears nose and throat I’d like to get some answers to
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?
Customer: I have been suffering with pain in my ears, top of mouth and throat on left hand side only for around 4 months. I have had MRI and CT scans that have come up clear, and numerous different medications but still hasn’t cleared up
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: My nose is producing a lot of mucus into my throat.
Hi. This sounds like allergies. What treatments have you tried? How,old are you?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have been put on amoxicillin, penicillin, steroid nasal spray, a peanut based nasal cream and I’ve also took antihistamine’s which don’t really seem to ease symptoms. The pain is quite bad at times.
Do your ears pop,when you swallow?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The pain is more prominent when I swallow, the pain goes from my ear, to the roof of my mouth and down my neck but only on the left side of my face
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I wouldn’t say they pop but there is pain when I swallow
That’s due to clogged Eustachian tube. I would take a decongestant such as Sudafed. It will help dry up the congestion. I also use atropine nasal spray for congestion but that’s by prescription.
I use fluticasone nasal spray.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I’m currently prescribed belclometasone nasal spray and naseptin nasal cream.. but they don’t seem to be helping. You think I should try swapping to what you recommend?
I like fluticasone nasal spray along with atropine nasal spray.
I also find the nasal and sinus flush gadgets to help,such as the Netti Pot. These are otc.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Is this pain something I should worry about, is there something specific causing it? And if it was something serious would the MRI of definitely picked it up?
They irrigate the nasal passages and get rid of a lot of mucus.
Mri would pick up a serious problem. What you describe is allergies.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Can allergies give symptoms on just one side of the face?
It can though it’s usually bilateral. Have they checked you for nasal polyps by looking in your nose?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Due to COVID-19 it’s been a little difficult to do a proper examination. One GP at A&E did look up my nose a few weeks back but the left nostril (problem side) was very swollen, that was why I was prescribed the steroid nasal spray.
Eventually you will need to see an ent doctor. Ask your gp about my suggestions. You can start Sudafed
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have asked my GP can I be referred back to ENT so hopefully that can happen soon. I’m just so worried in the meantime that it could be something sinister. I will definitely start Sudafed.
It definitely not something bad. Either allergies and or a nasal polyp.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I also have a sore achy armpit on the left on side, could be totally unrelated. However with it being on the left on side I just thought I’d ask, could this be related?
I don’t think that related.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you so much for your time, you’ve been very helpful. I will definitely ask my GP about your suggestions.
You’re welcome. Happy to help.