M Javid, MD
M Javid, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  American Board of Internal Medicine Certification in Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases
28778822

I've had a swollen tonsil for 3 months now, should I be

I've had a swollen tonsil for 3 months now, should I be concerned? I'm becoming anxious that it may be tonsil cancer. Anti-histamines dont do anything...

Hi, I will assist you.

One tonsil seems prominent, however the picture is taken from the side, so it may just be the angle.

Tonsillar cancer is a relatively rare condition.

However if you have a problem with tosillar swelling on one side, you should have yourself checked.

It will need a thorough exam, including checking the neck for any lymph nodes by exam,

If there is anything suspicious seen, you will have an imagining like a CT or MRI, plus a biopsy.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Its definitely more prominent though I appreciate the angle have have caused confusion.If it is not cancer, what else is it likely to be?I have a blood test next Friday. Should I seek more urgent observation?

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments?

Ok, this isn't diagnosed by a blood test, you have to have an exam done by an ENT Dr, as they have special instruments to look into the throat, which a normal Dr does not.

Other than various types of cancers, unilateral enlargement could be from chronic inflammation, and infections.

Please touch the 5 stars on your screen below my picture to give a positive rating to my answer, or I don't get credit for it, thanks.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Okay. Will I try to book an emergency appointment.I dont feel any lumps in my throat and there's no blood. The swelling I would say is not huge. It is just more prominent and I have a mild sore throat thay comes and goes

Yes, the chances are more that it's just an infection or inflammation.

Please complete an answer rating.

I don't get paid for my work unless you do.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I also have occasional dull chest ache, is this likely to be unrelated?

It's very non-specific, so it depends on what they find with the tonsil.