Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

Had a corneal transplant a few years ago and the eye is very

Customer Question

Had a corneal transplant a few years ago and the eye is very red this morning, not sure what to do next
JA: Have you used any medication for the redness?
Customer: No
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the redness?
Customer: No
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: None relevant
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Is there an ointment I can get at the chemist?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.

mobile phone number **********

Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 13 days ago.

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. Good day to you. I am Dr. Gaurav Gupta, MD, and I am here to help you today. I have more than 20 years of medical experience. I’m sorry you are experiencing this and I hope I can help you today. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 13 days ago.

If you need a phone call, it costs extra,

I have suggested the same for you,

I am happy to continue on chat or take the call as per your convenience,

Can you share a photograph of the eye,

Any other problems like itching, watery discharge, stickiness?
Any history of fever / viral infection in the last few days?
How is the other eye?
Any similar problems in the past?
Any relevant medical history,

Also your age and sex?
Warm regards

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
There is slight itchiness in the nasal corner but no discharge I am female and 83 No relevant medical history can't manage a photo without forking out for the phone - don't think it is serious enough to use my pension
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 13 days ago.

Thanks for the information -

The redness and itching can be due to an eye allergy combined with dryness. For this I would recommend you to apply cold compresses, use anti-allergy eye drops like nephazoline eye drops (available over the counter), lubricating eye drops like genteal/systane/optive 9available over the counter). If the itching is severe, then you can add an oral anti-allergy tablet like cetirizine.

Considering that you had a corneal transplant, there is always a possibility of other complications like infection, raised eye pressure, inflammation and rarely rejection of the graft.

If your symptoms worsen or do not improve, then I would recommend you not to wait, but go for an eye examination to rule out the complications.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is appreciated. A TIP would be even better! If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Warm Regards,
Dr. Gupta, MD