Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  board certified internal medicine
19706630

Why is there pain in the small of my back - I have prostate

Customer Question

why is there pain in the small of my back - I have prostate cancer
JA: How long have you had prostate cancer? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: One year and I have 3 monthly gosrelin injections
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about prostate cancer?
Customer: Have aan onclogist at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital He consults after blood tests
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have fibrosis in both lungs from asbestosis
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 days ago.
Hi. I’m Dr. Mark and am happy to assist you. Sorry you are having back pain. I assume you mean the pain is in the lumbar spine? Let me give you some information on causes of back pain.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 days ago.
First question I have is the status of your prostate cancer. If it’s localized to the prostate or has it spread? Prostate cancer can spread to the bones. That’s my first concern. Xrays of the spine or bone scan can detect metastatic prostate cancer.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 days ago.
Hopefully it’s not related to the prostate. Common causes for back pain are degenerative arthritis of the discs and vertebrae. These can be quite painful and cause pinched nerves with radiating pain down the legs. Xrays and mri scan of the spine will detect these causes.
Then there’s muscular back pain. That’s very common. It’s from overuse as in lifting and bending.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 days ago.
If you can answer my few questions it will help me to better understand the cause of your pain. I can then give you more details about cause and treatments. Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I am 80 years olsd and do not exercise much so muscular pain is unlikely. I am worried that this advanced cancer is now metastatic prostate cancer. But, I guess an xray will be necessary to know this Thank you for your kind help
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 days ago.
Hopefully it’s not metastatic cancer. The X-ray and nuclear bone scan are used in the diagnosis for cancer spread to bones. There’s also a very good possibility that the pain is from degenerative arthritis of the spine. That’s very common at your age.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 days ago.
I would use ibuprofen or paracetamol for the pain in the meantime. Also a heating pad might help. Feel better. If you have any further questions please let me know.
I’d appreciate you rating my answers with the stars on your screen so I receive feedback and credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
5 stars for answer and no more questions yhanks again
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 days ago.
Thank you. Feel better