DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

My throat is a bit itchy/scratch and I’ve noticed a bit red

My throat is a bit itchy/scratch and I’ve noticed a bit red at the back.No other symptoms at all.Managed to get a good photo.I think a small capillary at the back of my throat may have burst - you can see it in the photo.Is it anything to worry about?

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Thanks for asking the question

This is just due to inflammation caused by sore throat

The prominent vein is due to the local inflammation

You should do warm water gargles and have an anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen

Hopefully this will go away in few days

There is nothing concerning at all

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. A 5-star rating is requested and will be appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I think I’ve had it since Monday but does feel better.

It will settle in a week or so

Nothing to worry at all

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Is it contagious to my family?

Yes the common cold or flu can be contagious

So you should wear a mask till symptoms settle completely

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok, so it just looks like a throat inflammation - not strep or an infection?

Yes most likely a simple viral inflammation

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Viral? Hope it isn’t covid

Yes most likely not COVID

Just a common cold

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Sorry last question - I also did some nasal rinses this week - cud that have caused an irritation / inflammation?

No that is unlikely to be the reason