How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Elliot Ruff Your Own Question
Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 1534
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Elliot Ruff is online now

My son was diagnosed as emotionally behaviourally disturbed

Customer Question

Hi, my son was diagnosed as emotionally behaviourally disturbed at the age of 10 years, however we have only found this out 6 months ago after insisting on the GP go back and read his hospital letter. I have diagnosed my son with borderline personality disorder, and the GP finally agreed this could be the case, after a consultation with a psychiatrist he was diagnosed with boredom with no psychological issues, after my insistence to the GP by letter, and my phone call to her to consider he had BPD she finally diagnosed my diagnose
JA: When did the personality disorder start? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: He has progressively got worse over the years, from being in hospital as a child of 10 and The diagnoses being affirmed,although we his parents were never told, I was told he had a breakdown and his self esteem was trailing behind him. When I have read up on the emotionally behaviourally disturbed, it sounds to me BPD which seems to be the diagnosis in adulthood. My son went from hospital to a temporary children’s home to a residential school where he remained until he was 16, he experienced trauma in the school with absolutely no mention of a mental illness at anytime dude his so called being looked after by the local authorities
JA: Got it. How have you been sleeping? Any insomnia or other issues?
Customer: .my son is now 38 years old and I have struggled to care for him while he has lost his brothers and sisters support and also friends because no one ever knew what was wrong with him, he has been lost all his life since he was forcefully dragged from our garden fence screaming for help at 11 years old, while. I was held inside our home being told it was for the best. We were totally wronged by these action and his mental health issues worsened by not being listened to or valued as a human being, just regarded as a nobody, give a person no hope leads to suicide in many cases, I’m no expert but I am in failures. My question is how can I access true help for my son that would improve his condition, thereby improving his life in general his self esteem along with feeling of being valued
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?
Customer: yes, he has a mistrust of doctors social workers mental health people, which is understandable in the circumstances of being wrenched from everything he held dear ie his family his home, to be put in institutions and told 28 years later he actually did have a diagnosis whilst knowing there was something wrong that he couldn’t put a name to, in other words he was failed By the very system that was supposed to help him, I would like him to have some sort help to put his life back together with the correct people who will listen, not being told it’s only boredom and my fault for his upbringing, when the authorities had control over him for 6 and a half years, so who was at fault then? They made things much worse instead of telling me his parent what he was diagnosed with at the time, I would have fought tooth and nail to prevent them from putting him in care, in his mind he has been abandoned by everyone because he actually has been.i would like to see him with true help not just lip service. Thank you for any help you could advise us.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 8 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I will wait for an answer, thank you.
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 8 days ago.

Good morning, I am Dr Ruff. Thank you for contacting us today.

I am very sorry to hear about what you and your son have experienced, I can only imagine how hard this has been for you both.

As your son is 38, the main option for him is Psychotherapy, this can range from CBT to eye desensitization therapy if he has experienced trauma and may have a degree of PTSD. Medication is also certainly an option but I would suggest only in combination with psychotherapy.

This is something you can refer to directly without having to ask your GP for a referral, or alternatively you can contact someone privately to discuss your sons needs.

Please use the following link to access what providers are available for the GP practice your son is registered to.

Please do let me know if there is anything else or if you would like to discuss this in more detail.

I hope this is of some help for you both.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
My son has complex PTSD he has been on the waiting list for around 7 months, the doctors receptionist phoned recently to ask if he still wanted referred to brand street mental team, this tells me he was not referred at all if he is being asked if he still wants referred, another let down, I feel there is very little help for people with mental health issues its a rare type of person who truly tries to understand the suffering of people with mental health. My GP has failed in his duty of care to the suffering of my sons mental illness and due to this he continued to suffer all of the consequences of further failures ie social work dept and residential establishments as a result he has a deep mistrust of the so-called authorities. I will add my son at the age of 10 years was admitted to hospital for 6months for psychiatric care, I know now someone back then read the report and the recommendation if any? Thank you for replying.
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 8 days ago.

That is my pleasure. I appreciate Mental Health services is a mix of being underfunded, and have limited capacity, so what you say I can understand.

Do you have the option of considering private options?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No I'm afraid we do not have the money to go private I believe its a postcode lottery on the NHS. I suppose it would be interesting to have a look at private providers to see what the cost would actually be. Thank you once again for your time.
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 8 days ago.

My pleasure, I understand.

Best of luck with this.