Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  board certified internal medicine
19706630

My calf muscle went twang whilst running I now struggle to

Customer Question

My calf muscle went twang whilst running I now struggle to walk with my foot flat . The calf muscle is now swollen and tender
JA: How long have you had the swelling? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: since yesterday And ibuprofen
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the swelling?
Customer: no hard to get an appointment
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 days ago.
Hi. I’m Dr. Mark and am happy to assist you. Sorry you had this injury. It’s common in runners and is due to a partial tear of the calf muscle. Did this just occur?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 days ago.
An acute injury is treated with rest and elevation of the injured leg. Ice the calf for ten minutes at a time every hour or two. In between wrap the calf with an ace wrap.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 days ago.
An acute injury will take several days to feel better and up to six weeks to heal.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 days ago.
Have I answered your question? Need any clarification or additional information?