Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

Need urgent help - nitrofurantoin not working for UTI

Customer Question

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi I’m still waiting for an expert
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 6 days ago.

Good evening, I am Dr Ruff. Thank you for contacting us today. I am sorry if you have been waiting.

How long have you been taking Nitrofurantoin for? and was this used blindly to treat a UTI (i.e. without confirmation with a urine culture)? or did you grow anything on the culture?

Please note, a urine dip is not a culture, but the initial test performed to identify if infection is likely.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi. No culture due to covid (drs not allowing surgery to open so can’t go in to drop off sample but I’ve bought a private one I’ll send off.) was on pivmecillinam for a few days, didn’t work so moved to nitrofurantoin. Been on it 24 hours no improvement (still aches when peeing and when bladder full.) worried because I’ve taken nitro before and one time I only took one tablet because I got sick- will this mean I’m resistant?

Hi there, thank you for your response and I am sorry for my delay.

You would normally expect improvement to occur within 24 to 48 hours so hopefully today you should be noticing if there is an improvement. Nitrofurantoin is often considered the first line antibiotic for a lower urinary tract infection so I would be suprised if symptoms did not continue.

Taking Nitrofurantoin before does not necessarily cause resistance so I would not be worried about this.

I would get a culture done, and if by day 4 there is no improvement, or your symptoms are worsening, then I would speak to your doctor about changing your antibiotics, perhaps to something like Co-Amoxiclav.

I hope this is of some help and I certainly hope your symptoms are feeling better today.

Please do feel free to let me know if there is anything else.

Best wished, Dr Ruff

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you so much. So the fact I’ve taken it before and finished early after one dose once won’t make me resistant and it would be unlikely that nitrofurantoin doesn’t work?

My pleasure. It can increase the chance of resistance, but I would be doubtful this would cause it. Resistance with Nitrofurantoin is often found when used as a prohylactic antibiotic where it is used daily for 3-4 months at a time.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok great thanks. Yeh I’ve taken it about 3 days in total in the past and only one time where I didn’t finish the course so hopefully i should be ok
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Could the continuing aching when I pee be left over damage from the uti?

I think you will be okay. Best of luck with this, I hope you feel better soon.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanks. Apologies for all the questions - I’ve had a UTI go to a kidney infection where I was hospitalised in the past so I get a bit anxious!

I can understand your concerns.

Take care