How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Elliot Ruff Your Own Question
Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 1612
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Elliot Ruff is online now

I am 'deaf'. I hear but poorly. Hearing aids aren't very

Customer Question

I am 'deaf'. I hear but poorly. Hearing aids aren't very useful. A medical colleague told me that I wasn't deaf. They said they had surgery for otosclerosis as a child, and that I matched their experience. I have asked my GP, by letter, for a consulation appointment with a surgeon who treats otosclerosis, and am prepared to pay for this myself, if necessary. I have had no reply. My question is: how can I get a consulation appointment with a surgeon who treats otosclerosis
JA: How long have you had otosclerosis? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: Hello, I am 72, and have had hearing problems since my mid-20s. They progressively declined in my 50s onwards. I have not been officially diagnosed. I hear loud running water sounds in both ears, and clock ticking in both ears. I do not hear classically described tinitus sounds (ringing). I do not use any medication for it. I keep my ears clean. Additionally, I have balance problems, which I thought was a side-effect of my heart medication. That's enough for now over to you
JA: Got it. Have you used anything else for this?
Customer: Hello you sound like a robot. You read extremely quickly. I do not know of anything else to use… And therefore do not fully understand the question
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Hello, I'm not sure what is meant to be happening now. I thought that I would get a response via the chat. It looks as if your telling me there will be some type of separate follow-on.
I don't think there is anything else in my medical history that I have not already given, but please feel free to ask for specifics or other exploratory questions.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 18 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 18 days ago.

Good morning, I am Dr Ruff. Thank you for contacting us. I am very sorry if you have been waiting.

I am sorry you are still waiting to hear from your GP.

From what you say, it would be appropriate to see an Ear Nose and Throat doctor as well as repeat an audiology examination.

They would then advise on the treatment options available to you. This is something you can certainly do on the NHS.

You could see an ENT surgeon privately which would cost you about £250, and an audiology examination which would be about £120. They would then be able to advise you, however the NHS would be able to provide this for you.

If you would like me to assist you in finding a private ENT surgeon then I would be more than happy to. If so, please let me know. Otherwise I would chase your GP to see if they have done this referral for you.

I hope this helps.