Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I’m looking for a gastroenterologist, Yes I have, currently

Customer Question

Hi! I’m looking for a gastroenterologist
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes I have, currently on omeprazole
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have been suffering from existing stomach pains for almost a year now also I have hypoglycemia.
JA: How long have you been in pain? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?
Customer: It is on and off but I have been having it for almost a year now. No vomiting or nausea However I do sometimes get naseous before I eat
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 5 days ago.

Hi there,
I am an experienced Medical Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

have you had any test done so far like an ultrasound or endscopy?

Are you losing weight? any anemia?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi!
I had an ultrasound done on my pancreas and kidneys.
However I haven’t had an endoscopy yet but the doctor i’m seeing locally wants me to do an endoscopy. However, I was trying to explain to him that with my hypoglycemia I can’t go a full hour after I wake in the morning with out passing out. I have to eat and with the endoscopy Procedure I won’t be able to.
What do you think would be the best way to handle having an endoscopy while being hypoglycemic.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 5 days ago.

Thanks for replying.

Do you have hypoglycemia for long time?

Is your blood pressure also low?

If that's the case, I will suggest a morning time cortisol level check to rule out any adrenal gland insufficiency.

Also, as a substitute of endoscopy, a CT scan of the abdomen with contrast or a MRI abdomen with contrast can be considered as part of initial evaluation of liver, pancreas, gallbladder, stomach and intestine.

For endoscopy, you are allowed to drink clear liquids which can include glucose water, clear soup, pedialyte.

Usually 12 hours fasting ( no solids) should be ok.

Best wishes,
Please reply back if you need any further clarification.
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Well, I have not been diagnosed for hypoglycemia. I have seen several doctors where I live and no one could’ve understood the symptoms I was experiencing. That led me to research online and found the condition hypoglycemia and confirmed to myself that this is what it was. When I went back to my family doctor and I told her about my research she agreed but there was no medical reports that diagnosed me to be hypoglycemic. I have been experiencing these symptoms for about 4 years now.
Also, when I go to the doctor to check my vitals they do say that my blood pressure is a bit low but nothing to alarming. It’s usually 110/73.
Thank you the information of what I can drink because I was told I can only drink water.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 5 days ago.

Ok --interesting.

Ideally you should have a glucometer at home and measure your blood sugar closely to see how low it goes and the pattern.

That often helps to understand underlying cause and management through diet.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
with my symptoms I suggested maybe it is a sugar problem. I bought a glucometer and I started testing myself and I realized in the morning without breakfast I am usually around 60-65 mg/dl the lowest 55 mg/dL. With breakfast and a cup of orange juice it goes up to about 80 mg/dl.
Around this time while I was testing, I started taking vitamin D supplements and I realized that this was increasing and balancing my sugar levels. While taking Vitamin D without breakfast it was 90-110 mg/dL and it wouldn’t go any lower than this throughout the day. Can vitamin D help balance sugar levels?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 5 days ago.

That is interesting.

There is no direct role of vitamin D with blood glucose control.

However, it is possible that vitamin D may be delaying glucose absorption from intestine and thereby helping with blood sugar management.

Ideally you should have thorough evaluation with an endocrinologist with serum fasting glucose, insulin, proinsulin, c peptide, beta hydroxybutyrate, and insulin autoantibody levels.

This will help to check for underlying cause, which be pancreatic gland tumor, or hyperplasia of islet cells.

Ultrasounnd is not adequate to evaluate pancreas.

CT scan or MRI is recommended.