Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  board certified internal medicine
19706630

For about four days I have had heavy rectal bleeding while

Customer Question

Good morning.
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: For about four days I have had heavy rectal bleeding while passing stools. I read that I probably have hemorrhoids. What should I do?
JA: Have you used any medication for the bleeding?
Customer: Yes, I use ointment for hemorrhoids.
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the bleeding?
Customer: I did not.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I do not think so. Maybe except that I've been making poo in the form of balls for several months.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 4 days ago.
Hi. Dr. Mark here to assist you. Sorry you’re having this problem. I’m happy to help you. First you need to make sure that you do indeed have hemorrhoids. We can detect them on exam or with a sigmoidoscopy. Let me detail treatment for hemorrhoids.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 4 days ago.
First thing is to have soft bowel movements. Hard stools will irritate hemorrhoids and make them bleed. Increase the fiber in your diet and take Metamucil. Second, use a hemorrhoid cream and a suppository. These are otc and there are many brands. Buy those that contain hydrocortisone. And finally take a sitz bath twice a day. That’s soaking in a hot tub for 15 minutes. These conservative measures usually work. If not, then the hemorrhoids need to be removed. A surgeon bands them in the office . It’s a easy procedure.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 4 days ago.
Any questions or clarification? Here to help you. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you for the advice. I will follow your recommendations for a few days. How long should I follow your recommendations?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 4 days ago.
I would give it several days to a week. This will take time to settle down. If there’s still bleeding after a week then the hemorrhoids should be removed.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 4 days ago.
I am happy to have assisted you. I hope my conservative measure work for you. Most of the time they do. Let me know if I can answer any questions for you. Now or in the future. My pleasure to help. Take care.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you. I hope it helps me. Have a nice day.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 4 days ago.
You’re welcome These conservative measures usually work. Enjoy your day too.