Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

How do you know when you are suffering from ADHD and when to

Customer Question

How do you know when you are suffering from ADHD and when to seek help
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I haven't seen a doctor as yet and I'm currently not taking any medications and i was told earlier this year that i suffer from anxiety and depression
JA: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?
Customer: I have spoken to my school welfare advisors but then the covid 19 pandenmic hit and i didnt get to speak to my doctor
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 7 days ago.

Good morning, I am Dr Ruff. Thank you for contacting us this morning.

I am happy to jump straight in with an answer if you prefer, but if you could provide me some context about what you are concerned about then I can focus my answer.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
My main concern was my lack of focus and my up and down moods and then i get fidgety but at first i thought i was because of depression but then then i was asked if i ever looked in having ADHD

Okay thank you.

So I can advise you on the symptoms, but a formal diagnosis is quite detailed and requires a detailed assessment with a psychiatrist.

There is a diagnostic criteria which I will try and explain.

So a diagnosis is considered if you have 5 or more of the following: (6 or more if under 16yrs of age though):

-doesn't give close attention to things, or makes careless mistakes, so for work, school etc

-difficulty holding attention during a task

-difficulty listening when someone is speaking to you directly

-difficulty following through with instructions

-difficulty with organising

-avoids tasks that require some mental effort - finishing a book, completing work etc

-easily distracted

-often forgetful.

I will double check to see if I have missed any, but these are the main symptoms or signs of ADHD. Mood is not often related, unless your mood is directly affected by issues relating to the above issues. Otherwise this could suddenly fall under depression given low mood can certainly be responsible to a lot of those issues I have listed.

I hope this is of some help to you.

You can get referred on the NHS which is normally 1-2years wait, privately it costs about £500 for a full assessment. But I would first consider counselling to help identify some of the issues first and then deciding which direction to take.

Please feel free to ask any further questions.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have 7 of the 8 points you made and i will speak with my gp to see what they recommend

Great, well I hope you are able to access an assessment and try and improve these.

I wish you well with this.

Is there anything else I can help you with?