Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  board certified internal medicine
19706630

I have a question regarding slight hair loss. I’m 19 male

Hello I have a question regarding slight hair loss. I’m 19 male with thin and fine hair and I have started to notice increased loss of hair whilst taking a shower. Although there is no noticeable difference at my hair at the moment but I wish to keep my current hair condition and keep it healthy. I only use a shampoo and a conditioner, but is there anything else I could add to my hair routine and avoid anything to keep my hair healthy? Thank you.
Hi. I’m Dr. Mark and am happy to discuss this with you. Hair loss in men is frequently heredity. Having said that, there are things that you can do to slow hair loss down or even reverse it. Give me a few minutes to type my suggestions.
There are two prescription meds for hair loss. Rogaine and propecia. These work the best. But here are some other suggestions. Smoking is a factor with hair loss. So if you smoke try to quit. Scalp massages have been shown to help. Here are some foods that are rich in nutrients that hair growth needs. iron-rich foods, including lean beef, beans, green leafy vegetables, iron-fortified grains, and eggs
foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, such salmon, mackerel, tuna, flax seeds, egg yolks, hemp seeds, and walnuts
high-protein foods, like eggs, lean meats, and seafood
Give me a few minutes to continue typing.
Peppermint oil and rosemary oil rubbed into the scalp can help. Other supplements that are beneficial are saw palmetto, biotin,and hibiscus.
There is some evidence that multivitamins, vitamin D and ginsing can also help. I’d try some of these supplements and also a high protein diet. Many of these supplements have ingredients that are needed for hair production. If these help then great. Keep,in mind that there are the two prescription meds that definitely do grow hair.
Does this answer your questions? Let me know so I can help you or clarify anything.
I’ve given you a large list of options. Any questions?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello Mark, thank you for this invaluable information. This will definitely be useful for sure. I have a question regarding Rogaine what side effects does it have and if i stop using it, will my hair loss rate accelerated?
Rogaine is used topically on the scalp. Side effects are rare are local scalp irritation. It needs to be used continuously. Once it’s stopped the new hair will fall out. Stopping it will not accelerate hair loss. You will only lose the new hair that has grown in. Ok?
Rogaine is extremely well tolerated and I have not had to stop it in any of my patients due to side effects. It’s very well tolerated.
I’m glad this information was helpful. Let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ah ok, that makes sense. Thank you for clarifying. Also do you have any sepcific recommnedation on shampoo and coniditioner I should use? Because the products im using is Nioxin which is meant to stop hair loss but isn't working for me. I just want to maintain my hair.
Try Matrix biolage advanced.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok I will do try that. Thank you very much for everything today. The information you’ve provided has been really helpful.
My pleasure to help you. If I can be of assistance in the future just let me know. Take care and stay safe .