DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

Do you have any Urologists please? I haven't any symptoms

Hi there, do you have any Urologists please?
JA: What are all your symptoms? Are you taking any medication?
Customer: I haven't any symptoms yet, I wanted to ask if it would be safe to start taking ciprofloxacin for fear of having contracted something from unprotected sex. I'd rather not wait for symptoms if it is safe to do so.
JA: Got it. Have you used anything besides ciprofloxacin for this?
Customer: no
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Nearly 3 years ago (Nov 2017) I was diagnosed with chronic prostatitis/pelvic pain syndrome, and was put on a 6 week course of ciprofloxacin. Since then I have never had any sex apart from this incident a week ago, from which I am worried I may have contracted something.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Can you please explain it was a sex with your regular partner ?

Was it an unprotected sex ?

When you had the sex ?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi Dr Ehtisham, I received unprotected oral sex from a casual encounter (stranger). That was last Tuesday 8 September 2020.
I am worried about Chlamidiya/Gonorhea, but I haven't got any symptoms yet. But if I start taking ciprofloxacin now before any symptoms, will it clear any such infection that may be there before symptoms begin?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Also are you a specialist Urologist/Sexual Health expert please?

Thanks for the details

I am a Consultant Physician and have been dealing such cases for more than 17 years

First of all there is a very low risk of contracting gonorrhea or Chlamydia or Gonorrhea

Secondly you have already 6 days since the exposure and if you have no symptoms so gonorrhea is quite unlikely now

Secondly the antibiotic usually used to prevent is not Ciprofloxacin

Azithromycin and Doxycline are generally the preferred antibiotic

So I don,t think that you do need an antibiotic and if you still want to have one then the above ones are preferred choices

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. I will be glad to help you always

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you doctor for your answer.I only have a weeks course of ciprofloxacin with me from when my Urologist gave it to me in case I would need it to manage any future prostatitis flare ups. I do not have any other antibiotics.I appreciate I probably do not need antibiotic without symptoms, but would just like to know please, would an antibiotic like ciprofloxacin still be effective against Chlamidiya during any incubation period before any symptoms begin?

As I said earlier it is not a preferred one for Chlamydia and there is a high chance of developing resistance as well

So this is unlikely to prevent you against Chlamydia or Gonorrhea

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok thank you very much doctor, that is all.

You are welcome

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
One last question please, by when can I confidently say it is likely I have not contracted Chlamidiya? How many days of no symptoms I mean?

A maximum of three weeks

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok. But usually symptoms appear soon after 7 days if contracted, right? Like 7-10 days?

Yes you are right

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
ok thank you very much. And those symptoms would specifically be pain urinating and discharge?

Yes absolutely

You are welcome

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Does there have to be discharge to indicate Chlamidiya?
Sometimes I get minor pains in pelvic region when anxious because of my chronic pelvic pain syndrome.

Yes usually this is one of the symptom

I mentioned earlier and I repeat the chances of catching gonorrhea and Chlamydia are quite low after an oral sex

So you should not worry about it

Most likely you will not require an antibiotic

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok doctor thank you very much again. Goodnight.

You are welcome