Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I have a problem staying erect when having sex, Yes, it’s

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I have a problem staying erect when having sex
JA: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?
Customer: Yes, it’s only happened the last two times I would describe as average
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No

Good morning, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today.

I am sorry to hear you are having difficulty. Could I ask how long this has been an issue, and can I ask your age and if you have any medical problems? thanks

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi, literally only been a week but has had a big effect on my relationship I’m only 24 and no health conditions
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
As far as I’m aware

Thanks, ***** ***** can get an erection but not maintain one? Can you maintain it with masterbation?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I’m not sure as I haven’t masterbated since this has been a problem
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
correct I have one but cannot maintain
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I have the sensation as if I ejaculated but nothing comes out

Okay thank you for this.

So erections are rather complex, and unfortunately it is tricky to control from a psychological perspective. This is because stimulation allows the erection, but you need the psychological processes as well. However if any anxiety, fear comes in to play, it is very easy to lose an erection.

This is where it is very important in avoiding this being an issue, your partner will be worried it is them, and you are worried because you know that is is not.

If you have any pain, discomfort, discharge, urinary symptoms such as going to the toilet more often, then you should attend an urgent treatment centre to get a urine drip to exclude a simple infection. However in the absence of these I would suggest all you will need is lifestyle changes - so if you smoke, stop, do not drink alcohol, do not drink caffeine, drink plenty of water, exercise to raise your heart rate (but cycling unfortunately is not helpful as puts pressure on the nerves involved).

I would avoid any form of masterbation for a few days, give yourself some rest, and then try again in a week.

Explain to your partner that this is not uncommon - but given the short duration of symptoms, I do not believe you have anything to worry about and this will settle. The key thing as mentioned is to avoid getting worried about this, as the anxiety will cause erectile problems (this is all reversible though).

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to ask any further questions.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I cannot even get an erection when trying to mastubate now

Ensure you are sticking to a healthy lifestyle, give your self 3-4 days without stimulation and then try again.

https://patient.info/mens-health/erectile-dysfunction-impotence

Please also read the above link for more information. But given yourself a bit of time first.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok thank you for your help

My pleasure, take care.