Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I am experiencing very dry skin around the vaginal area and

Hi, I am experiencing very dry skin around the vaginal area and was wondering what could be the cause
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Do you notice any redness or scaling?
Customer: Honestly a few months now. And yes it is flaky and a bit red
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I don’t think so

Good morning, I am Dr Ruff. Thank you for contacting us this morning.

Could I ask if you have had any bleeding? Also can I ask your age and if you get regular periods?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hello dr ruff. I have not had any bleeding. I am 20 and my periods are regular

Hi there. Thank you for your response.

So dryness like this could be a few things. A mild fungal infection can cause irritation and dryness. It is possible to get eczematous areas which can also cause this, which can also be overlapping into dermatitis due to cleaning products which can also cause irritation.

There is also a chronic skin condition that can cause similar symptoms but would often have white plaques/areas around the labia and vagina which can be caused by something called Lichen Planus. Something that is important to treat if so.

The possible causes would be easily narrowed down with an examination and possibly a vaginal swab. The swab you can do yourself, but I would suggest seeing your doctor for an examination. In the mean time you could try Clotrimazole cream from a pharmacy to cover a potential thrush/fungal infection whilst waiting.

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask any further questions.