Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I think I might have a problem with my thyroid. I have

Hello! I think I might have a problem with my thyroid. I have difficulties with breathing and a sort of pain in my neck. I had an infection in July on it and a cyst on the right side. I am taking currently acid reflux pills and waiting for a specialist appointment.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the neck pain? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?
Customer: no, I feel it swollen and causing me difficulties with breathing. I had same symptoms back in May and June and found out in July the thyroid has been infected. I took prednisolone then for a while prescribed by a doctor and was feeling fine but recently started having the same complaint as before.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I had also at this time back in July pneumonia.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am an ENT specialist with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this. ​
I’m sorry to hear about your problem. I know how worrisome this situation can be for you.

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age and gender?

Do you feel any pain when you press on the thyroid?

How long have you been having difficulty with breathing?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

You may get a message asking for a phone call which is generated automatically by the website, if you accept this I can help you over phone also.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hello! Thanks for answering me!
I am female, 39 y old. I am not sure if I feel pain when touching the thyroid but I feel discomfort even not touching it. Also a feeling of shortness of breath. I had similar simptoms back in July when the thyroid occured to be infected and was taking some pills prescribed by a doctor. I felt better for a month or so but now they came back 3 days ago.

Thank you for the reply. Please hold on while I type out your answer. This can take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.

It is quite likely that you are having thyroiditis or infection of the thyroid gland again.

Such infections can be bacterial or viral.

But most commonly, thyroiditis occurs due to autoimmune causes, ie, for some unknown reason the body itself starts making anti-thyroid antibodies and these cause inflammation of the thyroid gland.

The swelling can then press on the trachea and cause breathing difficulties.

Steroids will solve the problem only symptomatically.

Since you are having a recurrence, you should consult a specialist for this - an ENT or Endocrinologist. You can discuss this with your doctor.

You need tests to detect autoimmune disease like a full thyroid profile, anti -TPO and anti -Thyroglobulin tests. Also FNAC of the gland and Ultrasound to find the extent of the gland.

This can detect the cause for you.

Treatment is with steroids and also according to the cause.

Consult your GP and discuss these issues.

Hopefully this will solve your problem. I do hope I was able to help you in resolving this issue. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you very much for your time! Have a good rest of the day!

Glad to help. Have a great day too!