Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I am required to provide a blood sample for the DVLA to

I am required to provide a blood sample for the DVLA to measure CDT levels. I'm currently using hand sanitizers containing isopropyl alcohol and I understand that the isopropanol can be absorbed. I know that CDT levels are an indicator of chronic abuse of alcohol/ethanol - which would not normally be a cause for concern as I'm usually a very moderate drinker. However I am concerned that the CDT test might be compromised by the isopropanol absorption - I do use it often each day. Is CDT linked only to ethanol/methanol or will isopropal also affect levels?

Hi there,
I am an experienced Medical Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Isopropyl alcohol from hand sanitizers will not absorb through your skin in significant amount.

Even if you are using hand sanitizer frequently it will still not affect CDT level.

There is no reason to worry.

Best wishes,
Please reply back if you need any further clarification.
It was my pleasure to help you today.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** google for an answer and saw research into the toxicity of Isopropyl alcohol by absorption and became worried that it might adversely affect the CDT level - your reply is very reassuring

No that is not applicable with hand sanitizer use.

best wishes