Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I have pain in my back and legs and a swelling in my

I have pain in my back and legs and a swelling in my stomach
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: No recent injuries, I did break a bone in my leg last October
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No

Good evening, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us this evening.

Can I ask if you are male/female? your age?

And how long have you had these symptoms - could you tell me more about how long you have had these symptoms and how long you have had them for? thanks

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Age 58 and female. The pain in my back and legs has been a few weeks and a doctor felt my stomach and could feel a ‘mass’ but said it was constipation.

Thank you for your response - and have they suggested any management of these symptoms?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Laxative drinks.. I keep getting a bloat/swelling on my left side of stomach

And are you experiencing constipation?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
No I am going as normal

Okay thank you.

So this is a little tricky given the symptoms you describe. If you are having back pain with leg pain then it would suggest the back is the primary cause to this. Therefore this suggests more of a musculo skeletal issue and therefore would be worth getting a physiotherapist to examine you.

The abdominal mass should always be taken seriously, and I am a little hesitant regarding this as if you are not experiencing constipation then this should not be palpable.

I would therefore ask for a physio, but also ask to investigate this abdominal bloating, more importantly with an urgent pelvic ultrasound scan to check that this is nothing to do with your ovaries. A blood test would also be quite useful.

I would go back and re-discuss this with your doctor if at all possible.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Okay, what’s the connection with ovaries? Thanks

No problem. Ovaries can develop cysts which can cause abdominal bloating, but also if large enough you would be able to feel them on examination. Ultrasound is a good way of imaging them. But also a blood test to ensure there are no raised markers which would help exclude any sinister causes.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Okay brill. Would a standard blood test show up something sinister if it was there?

Yes, but this would need to include a marker called Ca125 - your GP would know what to request though

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
this wouldn’t be done as standard?

No, this is a specific blood test if you are investigating ovaries as a potential cause to abdominal bloating.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Okay thanks

my pleasure, take care.