Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I have panic attacks, and sometimes obsessive thoughts, i

Hi, i have panic attacks, and sometimes obsessive thoughts, i was wondering if you would know what it is?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: Probably about a year now, i dont think there is anything that makes it worse, if i try and take my mind off it sometimes it can get better
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No

Good evening, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us this evening.

Please could I ask your age and if you have treated this before?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Im 21 and no i haven't

Is there anything in particular that triggers your panic attacks?

Also, do you find you only have obsessive thoughts, or do you complete obsessive actions as well?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No some times i just wake up feeling very anxious. And for example the other day i was walking from my car to work, and i was almost at work but i had to go back because i started panicking that i didn't close the windows, even though i was pretty sure i did, if that makes any sense.

Okay thank you for this.

So with anxiety there are a number of options. The first option to help improve this is Psychotherapy. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is good to improve anxiety and a method to learn how to manage it more.

There are also medication options. If anxiety is a problem all the time, then an SSRI, which is an anti-depressant is a very useful drug which has very good supportive evidence. They are considered safe, can be used for months, to years, and can be stopped at any point.

If anxiety is situational then beta blockers, propranolol is useful, but more so if this is when you know the anxiety may be provoked and therefore you can take it before hand.

Finally is Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Pregabalin is now a good option for this.

Obsessions certainly do fit in with all of the above, but the psychological treatment may differ slightly.

I hope this is of some help, please do feel free to ask any further questions.