Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I touched a light switch that I guess had some faulty wiring

Hi! I touched a light switch that I guess had some faulty wiring and I felt a shock go through my arm. It’s a few hours later and I still feel some tingling in my arm
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: Laying down made me more aware of the sensation in my arm
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I don’t think so

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today.

Do you have any redness along the length of your arm or any swelling?

Do you see any burn marks on the area that touched the faulty wire?

If you receive a phone call request, you can choose to ignore it. The request is sent automatically by the website and not by me. I will continue to respond here after I receive your reply.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi Dr. Uzair
There is no redness but the muscles feel a bit tight. There are no burn marks

Thank you for your response.

I am so sorry to hear about your discomfort.

An electric shock from a switch or a wire in the house is not a high voltage so it is not known to cause a severe electric burn or sequelae of a high voltage electric shock, however, it can cause muscle cramps/spasms and nerve irritation. These sensations can last for up to 24 to 48 hours. I will suggest that you take an anti-inflammatory like Paracetamol or Ibuprofen, keep your arm elevated, wrap an ace or crepe bandage around the arm (not tight), massage the area whenever your get a chance, and keep an eye on your symptoms. Your symptoms should subside within the next 24 to 48 hours, as is the norm with such injuries.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thanks! That is a relief to know

You're welcome.

Feel better soon!