Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Pains around my chest and back ,and hot and sweaty, yes use

Hi pains around my chest and back ,and hot and sweaty
JA: How long have you had the pain? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: yes use paracetamol and rub chest with vic get relief for a while then comes back,seems to be worse when laying down
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the pain?
Customer: no
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I take tablets for reflux

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.
I’m sorry to hear about your problem. I know how worrisome this situation can be for you.
Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age and gender?

How long have you been having these symptoms?

Do you have any other condition like diabetes or hypertension?

Have you shown a doctor for this?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.
You may get a message asking for a phone call which is generated automatically by the website, if you accept this I can help you over phone also.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Male of 73years approximately 2 weeks no cannot get appointment

Hello I have your number, I will call you in 5 minutes

It was great talking to you.

I will now note down the text of our discussion.

This is most likely a muscle pain or a pain of APD - acid peptic disorder or 'gas pains'.
Other causes of such pain can be: cholecystitis (gall bladder stones), pancreatitis, liver pain, gall bladder pain, pleuritis, rib bone pain, enlargment of spleen, splenic flexure syndrome (when a bubble of gas causes pain in this area) and lastly cardiac pain due to heart causes such as angina.

Considering the nature of your symptoms, your symptoms are not at all suggestive of heart pain and it is most likely to be a benign cause like muscle pain or APD.

However, all cases of pain in the chest need to be seen to be a doctor at the earliest. If this pain recurs or becomes severe, you need to see a doctor for this.

For now, I would advise you to take the following steps taking this to be APD and also for relief from muscle pain:

There are several OTC medicines which are generally safe which you can use for this. I would suggest Alka Seltzer two-three teaspoonfuls thrice daily. You should also take Cap. Prilosec 20 mg(OTC) /Zantac once daily early in the morning. If you are already taking some acid blockers, continue with that.

Muscle pain is also very likely for you.

Rest: give rest for 2 days. You should avoid any work which involves heavy lifting. It would be best to take two days leave from work.
Warm and cold fomentation: apply warm and cold fomentation alternately to the area, warm a cloth or towel with an iron and apply it. But it should not be too hot. Then alternate with an ice bag or a towel wrapped around ice.
Compression: Compress the area with a scarf or towel, this will give relief. You can also buy Rib belt/rib support, this is most helpful. It stabilizes the rib cage and minimizes movement, and this helps to reduce pain greatly. They are available at all pharmacies.

Elevation: keep the shoulder and ribs elevated above the level of the heart, at night when sleeping use a pillow under the shoulder and ribs. Avoid sleeping with the arm raised above the shoulder.

Painkillers: Take OTC painkillers Motrin/Advil one tab 8 hourly for pain relief when pain is severe.

Exercise: this is the most important. Gentle stretching exercises will cause healing. Look up this youtube video for some exercises:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPnhyRrw_nk

All these steps should help.

But remember, if the pain persists after these steps, you need to go to the doctor or to Urgent Care for this in case it is cardiac pain. Also go to the ER if the pain increases at any time.

Hopefully this will solve your problem. I do hope I was able to help you in resolving this issue. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti