RickD810
RickD810,
Experience:  Expert
109813799

Ongoing spotting, 31, ongoing spotting for months. Started

ongoing spotting
JA: How old are you? What symptoms are you having?
Customer: 31, ongoing spotting for months. Started with pain and bleeding in January then spotting in between periods, now continuous spotting for the past 2 months
JA: Got it. When was your last smear test, and what were the results? Any swelling, discoloration, or unusual smells?
Customer: I don't recall having had any smear tests. Sometimes smell of congealed blood at the end of periods if that makes sense?
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have had the copper coil in for the past 4 years and have always been regular except for this year

My name is***** a licensed and practicing doctor.

I am pleased to meet you. Can you can let me know of your problem and I will see if I can help you.

Any pain on intercourse?

Are your periods heavy and painful?

Have you noticed any abdominal distension or pain?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Not necessarily pain but some discomfort, I also have started to bleed after sex. I do get cramps but have had no periods. I had always been regular but for the past 3 months I was either late or not come on my period at all and just had spotting all month throu

I would advise that you take out the copper coil as this may be causing your symptoms. If symptoms persist then you will neeed an ultrasound scan to rule out possible fibroids.

I hope this helps

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
even if it has been in for years and never caused a problem before?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
would this definitely be the first step I should take in your opinion?

Any intrauterine device can cause irreg bleeding or spotting. You have had the coil for 4 years and so it may be reaching the end of its cycle.

So I would advise removal first

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
ok. Thank you for your help

Please could you kindly rate my response using the stars as this is the only way JustAnswer can acknowledge my response.

A 5 star rating would be much appreciated.

Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!

Dr R Duggal