Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

I was cycling today on a windy day and felt something in my

Hi, I was cycling today on a windy day and felt something in my eye, when i got home I found two very small pieces of grit, not sure what they were, one black, possibly dirt, the other brown, possibly wood, in my left eye. In time, my eye dealt with these and removed them to the side of my eye. I was wondering if the two pieces of grit will harm my eyes, or are my eyes tough enough to deal with these minor setbacks. Thank you.

Welcome and thank you for your question.

Do you have any irritation or difficulty in vision in the eyes?

Are your eyes watering? Do you have any pain?

I will review your answers and reply again in a few minutes.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
There is slight irritation but then my eyes are very sensitive, and are easily upset, but there is no difficulty in vision, they are not watering, and there is no pain.

Then you have no cause for concern - your eyes have not been damaged in any way by the grit and dust and are OK.

Any irritation you have can be decreased by using lubricant eye drops like Refresh tears which are very similar to natural tears.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** it normal for eyes to be damaged by everyday street grit, dust, or is there usually no cause for concern?

No, the eyes are rarely damaged by street grit or dirt unless the cornea gets scratched - and scratching of the cornea woulkd have caused watering and blurred vision.

Since you have neither, you have no cause for concern.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** eyes are fine, is scratching of the cornea common from ordinary street grit, or not usual?

It is very unusual to have corneal scratches from ordinary street grit..