Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I have recurrent epididymitis. I have taken courses of

Hello. I have recurrent epididymitis. I have taken courses of azithromycin and doxycycline and ofloxacin. I have had issues since I was 21 (I am now 37) after several years of no issues other than permanent thickening of the epididymis the problem came back in January of this year. Despite the above antibiotics in the last few months the symptoms come and go. At the moment I am sore. I really dont want to go to the GP with this issue. Is there anything you can recommend? Thank you
JA: When were you prescribed azithromycin? How severe were any side effects?
Customer: Hello - Yes I have had azithromycin - large short term dosage with no side effects
JA: Got it. Have you used anything besides azithromycin for this?
Customer: Doxycycline and the GP initially prescribed Ofloxacin.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I don't think so. Mild asthma thats all. I used to cycle a lot

Good evening, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us this evening.

I am sorry to hear you keep getting this.

Any pain in the epididymis can certainly be very uncomfortable able, and if this has recently come on then you would suspect an infection again therefore I would discuss with them about this. However if this is recurrent and longer term, you should request a testicular ultrasound to look for epididymal cysts and possible a varicoceole that can cause similar pain. The management of all of these potential differential diagnoses are different hence the importance of getting this examined and possible investigated.

Ciprofloxacin would be a reasonable antibiotic to try given what you have had already.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hello Dr Ruff (thank you for your help by the way) - I did have a scan a number of years ago that found 1 small cyst. Do you mind if I ask what the treatment would
be if I have more of them down there?

That is my pleasure, persistant cysts are surgically removed if they were thought to be the cause of this. I would get an updated ultrasound. I think what I am suggesting for cysts in unlikely to require surgical intervention but it is certainly done in some circumstances