Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

My thyroxine medication was reduced to 125 micrograms from

Customer Question

Hi my thyroxine medication was reduced to 125 micrograms from 150 micrograms. I have not felt as good since. my doctor refuses to prescribe me 150 micrograms again. saying that it is to much.
JA: When were you prescribed this medication? How severe were any side effects?
Customer: I have been taking 150 micrograms for around 33 years with no problem , feeling good. I am now 73 years old . I have been taking 125 micrograms for 2 months.I feel not quite with it some times and a loss of energy .
JA: Got it. Have you used anything else for this?
Customer: I only take thyroxine as prescribed.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no .
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 18 days ago.

Good afternoon, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today.

I am sorry that you have not been feeling well. If you have had noticeable increases to your symptoms following a reduction of your thyroxine then I would certainly suggest you discuss this with your doctor again. Sometimes it can take a good 3 months to notice any changes in your blood levels following a medication change. So the alternative is to ask for another blood test in the next few weeks to see if this demonstrates you thyroid function reducing.