Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  board certified internal medicine
19706630

I am worried I have breast, lung and bowel cancer. I would

Customer Question

I am worried I have breast, lung and bowel cancer. I would like to pay for a private MRI scan and mammogram, but the company requires a referral note from my doctor. I don't know if my doctor will refer me.
JA: How long have you had cancer? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: I don't know if I have cancer, I am worried and want tests
JA: Got it. When was your last doctor visit? What did you discuss?
Customer: about a month ago and we spoke about skin cancer and I had a check up for that
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no I don't think so
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 17 days ago.
Hi. I’m Dr. Mark. Welcome to Just Answer. We can’t make referrals here but I can answer any questions that you have. Why are you concerned about having cancers?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi, thanks. I'm worried about breast cancer as my aunty had it and my breasts are lumpy so I can't work out whether thats normal or there is a lump. Bowel cancer as I've always had stomach problems. I have stomach ache most of the time and I regularly have diarrhea and constipation. Lung cancer because I have smoked the majority of my life so I am just scared I will have it. I have given up smokiing many times and have just bought champix again to stop for good, but I know that even when you stop, smoking for many years can give you lung cancer. I know I am an anxious person and the covid stuff and things in my personal life have made me even more anxious and paranoid, however regardless of this, I would rather pay money for a full health check, so I can have a bit of peace of mond, as I think about it all the time and I am scared of dying in a horrendous way. I don't want to be a strain on NHS resources, so I would really like to go private so I can just get it done. I don't know whether NHS doctors are able to refer someone to a private company, if they don't believe there is anything wrong. My symptoms could be anything, but I just want to make sure I don't have cancer.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 17 days ago.
Based on your age and family history then routine cancer screening is advised. If you are having specific symptoms then these tests would be ordered
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 17 days ago.
How old are you?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
39
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 17 days ago.
A mammogram should be done if you feel a lump. Your gp can order that.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 17 days ago.
Your gi symptoms don’t suggest colon cancer so there isn’t a need for that now. In smokers we do a low dose car scan of the lungs for screening. This can be ordered by your gp also.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
How accurate is the lung screening and mammogram?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
My GP is very resistant to doing any tests unless you have a lot of symptoms, so I doubt she will allow a mammogram or lung screening.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 17 days ago.
Mammogram is very accurate and often combined with an ultrasound. If you feel a breast lump then mammogram is needed. The cat scan of the lungs is very accurate.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 17 days ago.
Have I answered your questions?