How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Arun Phophalia Your Own Question
Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 51629
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Arun Phophalia is online now

My husband is 83. He has taken to making a low moaning noise

Customer Question

My husband is 83. He has taken to making a low moaning noise which doesn’t stop and fills all silences. He is very deaf.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No doctor. He is taking an antibiotic. That’s all
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Four primary cancers, sepsis, repeated urinary infections. All these have been treated. It’s the low level humming moan which is driving me bonkers.
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: i suffer from insomnia otherwise fit and well
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
This is like an audible tick - it goes on and on all day. Very hard to be with him.
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 days ago.

This may be the vocal tic disorder. Since your husband is deaf, he does not hear it and so difficult to control.

Complex vocal tics (coprolalia, palilalia, echolalia), which can be among the most impairing types of tics, are seen in adult-onset primary tics as well. In adult-onset idiopathic tics, motor and phonic tics are the most common types of tics, followed by motor tics and, lastly, phonic-only tics.

Tics are usually treated with one or more of the following approaches:

1) education,

2) medication,

3) behavior therapy,

4) botulinum toxin, and,

5) deep brain stimulation surgery.

I am glad for the opportunity to answer your question.

I hope this interaction is helpful to you.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I wish your symptoms resolve soon.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you very much for the info - who should we go to for the medication and or botulin? I don’t think
An ordinary physician could do this.
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 days ago.

You are very welcome.

The neurologist is the best specialist for these treatments.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

It was a pleasure to assist you.

I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Thank you.

Stay blessed.