Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  board certified internal medicine
19706630

I recently was diagnosed with thrush but feel I also have

Customer Question

Hi i recently was diagnosed with thrush but feel I also have symptoms of bv, i dnt know if its possible to have both. I used the prescribed thrush pessary on Monday and I have a couple of issues. 1 should it be leaking a lot leaked on the Tuesday afternoon? And 2 can I use some bv gel i bought from boots at the same time? Thanks
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes I've seen a doctor and was given canesten duo for thrush
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Im on regular antibiotics for recurring utis that i take after intercourse
JA: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?
Customer: yes
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 days ago.
Hi. I’m Dr. Mark. Thanks for using JA. I’m happy to assist you. Sorry you’re having this problem. Give me a few minutes to type my answers.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanku its the balance active gels I have bought btw, and the gp has said I can go down for swab tests if things don't improve
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 days ago.
Discharge from a yeast infection is usually a thick, white consistency and doesn't have a scent. Discharge from BV is thin, yellow or gray, and carries a strong unpleasant odor. It's possible to have a yeast infection and BV at the same time.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 days ago.
You can use the BV gel along with the anti thrush medication. I’d try to separate them time wise though.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
can I use the gel if I used the pessary 2 days ago
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 days ago.
You might need a prescription antibiotic for bv if the otc doesn’t work.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have itching and what is possibly a little thrush discharge but its not odourless
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
hence the confusion
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
But for now I can use the bv gel even if I used the pessary on Monday?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 days ago.
you can use gel .
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok thanku, I was worried about mixing the 2. Also is it normal that a load of the pessary leaked on the tues?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 days ago.
If things don’t clear up then it’s best to see a gynecologist. The doctor will take a sample of the discharge and analyze it for candida and BV.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 days ago.
You’re welcome.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Yeah he's booked me in for 2weeks time for swabs just want to relieve discomfort etc in meantime
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 days ago.
Try both as I suggest and hopefully that will cure both.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanku
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 days ago.
You’re welcome. Happy to have helped. Feel better.