Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth,
101124971

Psychological help for chronic itch, about 18 months. Using

Customer Question

Psychological help for chronic itch
JA: How long have you had the itchiness? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: about 18 months. Using topical oinments and Pid
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the itchiness?
Customer: Yes GP and Dermitologist.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Only high blood pressure and low thyroid.
Expert:  Dr.Sumanth replied 9 days ago.

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 15 years of experience in the field of Medicine at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Expert:  Dr.Sumanth replied 9 days ago.

Hello... I understand your concern.

I need some more information please. Are you telling that you have itching without any skin manifestation like rash please?

1. May I know your age and gender please?

2. Is there any jaundice or pain in the tummy in the right upper quadrant?

3. Is there any history of new medication after which this started?

4. Are you currently under any kind of stress?

5. You this this started after any insect bite?

6. Are there any joint pains and swelling?

7. Are you experiencing any swollen lymph nodes?

8. Are you you a diabetic or hypertensive?

Please get back to me with the above information so that I can guide you better.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Expert:  Dr.Sumanth replied 9 days ago.
May I request you to answer my questions please?
Expert:  Dr.Sumanth replied 8 days ago.

Hello...I understand your concern.

There is a concept called - Skin Anxiety Syndrome.

During a bout of stress or anxiety,a series of emotional and a series of emotional and physiological alterations in hormones and enzymes in our body.

In response to stress, the sensory system of the body over-reacts, stimulating the nerve endings in the skin causing a burning sensation all over the body. In response to stress there is a theory where in the blood vessels constrict and this predisposes them to itching sensation. So during anxiety or even in anticipation of anxiety the skin starts to feel itchy and you tend to scratch.

This burning itching skin sensation can be mildly noticeable, moderately bothersome, or severely problematic. Generally, this burning and itching skin feeling doesn’t have any visible reason for it to feel that way. It appears the skin is itching and burning for no apparent reason.

This burning itching skin sensation can precede, accompany, or follow an episode of nervousness, anxiety, fear, and elevated stress, or occur ‘out of the blue’ and for no apparent reason.

This burning itching skin sensation can range in intensity from slight, to moderate, to severe. It can also come in waves, where it’s strong one moment and eases off the next.

This burning itching skin sensation can change from day to day, and/or from moment to moment.

Since this symptom is caused by stress and how it affects the body, reducing your body’s stress is the best way to eliminate anxiety and stress caused burning and itching skin sensations. As your body’s stress diminishes, this symptom should diminish and eventually disappear.

I suggest -

1. Drink a lot of water and especially take few sips when you are experiencing these symptoms.

2. Take deep breaths and self suggest yourself that you are going to be alright and that you do not have any serious ailment.

3. Try breathing exercises/ yoga and pranayama under the guidance of a trained professional.

4. Keep yourself busy and constantly involved in the work you like most - even some hobby.

5. For the radiating pain (if any) - Gabapentin can work wonders, but this is a prescription drug and you will require a doctor's prescription for it. But this may not hold good for you - as it is not pain and it is only stress induced itching.

6. If these suggestions are not working then, after evaluation you might require anxiolytic medications please.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you! Please do let me know if you need any further clarification in this regard and we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800