Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have a constant pain in my mouth on my left side. The pain

Customer Question

I have a constant pain in my mouth on my left side . The pain is on the roof of my mouth and my tonsil is swollen . I have attended a gp who said I have a viral infection but yet I have it 8/9 weeks . I would really appreciate help . I am being referred to a Ent but the pain is really bothering and worrying me
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 days ago.

Hi there,
I am an experienced Medical Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

I think you may have developed tonsillar abscess given the persistence of symptoms.

There is also likelihood of bacterial infection.

You should start on oral antibiotic course with doxycycline 100 mg twice daily for 7 days.

You may have to go to the local hospital if pain still does not improve.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Sorry I actually have taking an antibiotic of penicillen for 5 days and there was no improvement
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 days ago.

Ok --in that case you will need another evaluation to rule out abscess.

Antibiotic may need to be changed to a stronger one like Doxycycline as I mentioned above as bacterial resistance to penicillin is common.